Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I buy a Tokai Rockinbetter, Rickenbacker 4003 copy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by haggisbobcjl, Jan 4, 2012.

1. haggisbobcjl

haggisbobcjl

Jan 4, 2012
    I live in the UK and I have had an offer from someone else in the UK for a Tokai Rockinbetter bass guitar. It's brand new and the seller says that they would accept £200 with postage for it. Now I am quite new to guitars, I know the general good and bad makes, I really like the Rickenbacker sound but I don' t have anywhere near enough for a genuine one. I have read all the other posts on this topic and I am expected to be told to buy the real thing, I would rather do but I am not willing to spend that much. I have heard mixed reviews of the Rockinbetter 4003, they have added a Rickenbacker decal as well, I'm not expecting anything as good as a Rickenbacker but would anyone reccomend it at the price?

2. haggisbobcjl

haggisbobcjl

Jan 4, 2012
    Does anyone have any exprerience of Tokai Rockinbetters or know how good they are? Would you say they are worth £200 with postage?

3. Register_To_Disable

4. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    For £200 I absolutely would. :hyper:

At £500 they are overpriced imho. I got to play one and I heard little of the signature Rick sound. However its own sound was quite pleasant. Put on fresh Roundwounds and you might be surprised.

You will never get a lot of support on this forum regarding Rickenbacker copies, though. There is a contingency of Rick fans whose online identity begins to overlap into the territory of unpaid shill work. Rick also have a very aggressive legal team who shoot down copies all the time. However here in the UK their tentacles don't quite extend far enough.

Basically what I'm getting at is, if you buy it you won't be making the 'popular' choice, so it would be ideal if you could test the bass and actually ascertain its quality rather than get the blinkers on just because it has the Rick shape...

5. As above for £200 you can't loose. I own a Ric 4003 & had a chance of buying a Rockinbetter at a guitar show for not much more than what your paying.

The build quality looked good it seemed to weigh as much as the Ric,it was the one without the binding & dot neck (copy of the RM1999).

6. DogBone

DogBone

Mar 15, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I don't know what the current exchange rate is over the pond, but a good rule of thumb that I have observed over the years is this: quality Rick copies tend to sell for about half the price of a used Ric.

As for the rest of the stigma, admonishments, and whatever because it's not a "real" Ric, I just find it entertaining. ;)

Play what makes you happy, don't sweat the peanut gallery.

7. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    For £200, I'd most likely do it.

8. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    Disclosures:
    Sponsored by The Letter G
    It's a good price. I'd go for it, and I already have a Ric!

9. haggisbobcjl

haggisbobcjl

Jan 4, 2012
    Thanks for your advice everyone, I'll tell you what its like when it arrives.

10. At the risk of being a "shill", if your main criteria is the sound you may be disappointed. You may be able to swap out the electronics for Ric components, but then you're spending close to what a used Ric goes for.

Just my $.02

11. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I _LOVE_ Tokai. If you have the cash and any desire for a good Rick clone you should absolutely buy it. They made great gear and that's a good price for a well made neck through bass.

KO

12. haggisbobcjl

haggisbobcjl

Jan 4, 2012
    I considered doing this but then I thought if I want it to sound exactly like a Rickenbacker I think I would buy a Rickenbacker. Plus I am only a begginer so I wouldn't be looking to spend that much.
    I think if I bought the Rickenbacker pickups they would cost me more than the guitar itself.
    I'll see how I am at the bass, if I end up being a great player I might buy a real Rickenbacker.
    Do you know how much Rickenbacker electrics would cost? Do you know any cheap upgrades which would make the guitar better?

13. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    Check out the rick site for pickups and pots etc and see if the prices there are worth it to upgrade your copy. Used pickups are available also for less money. At the end of the day you will still have a copy but if it plays well and sounds good :hyper:

14. Neck through or set-neck? Just wondering. Personally, I'd love a Ric clone, maybe moreso than a real Ric. That *Don't even TALK about building, selling or buying a non-Ric Ric* attitude of the original MFR is off-putting.

15. Lars_Vegas

Lars_Vegas

Jul 12, 2010
    Judging from the built-quality of my brother's Love Rock Les Paul copy by TOKAI,
    I would be all over that deal!

16. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    It's not that, as much as the "HOW DARE YOU THINK ABOUT INSTALLING OTHER PICKUPS, BRIDGE, OR ANYTHING ELSE! SACRILEGE!" that turns me off them.

17. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Tokai was very meticulous about their copies. I admit it was an assumption that it was neck-through, but I'd put £5 on it.

KO

18. Yep. How dare they protect their intellectual property? If Fender or Gibson were as smart as them with patents, they STILL wouldn't be as uncool as Ric!

;)

19. OK, I am admittedly going on hearsay as much as anything else, as I am not in the market for a Ric(fine basses as far as I know, just don't need one ATM). That said, protecting one's genuine & legitimate property(intellectual or concrete)is perfectly fine w/me. The feeling I get that ninja lawyers may be watching me right now due to the subject we're discussing is what slightly twists my thong, that's all. :)

Edit: In the interest of not cluttering up this thread any further, I will now bow out & let you(or whoever)have the last word. :cool:

20. foq1978

foq1978

Aug 7, 2009
    Rio de Janeiro
    Of course you should buy it, they make the best musical products in the world!
    [​IMG]

Jokes aside, I would tell you to try the Tuscany Bird bass, but they are much more expensive...

Tuscany Bird cherry

[​IMG]