Should I buy a WARWICK!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Russy, Jan 12, 2004.

1. I have seen and heard guys with warwick bass guitars and they look and sound really good. I thinking of getting the corvette 6 string or the thumb 6 if the budget allows as my second bass. I havn't played any of them yet and looking forward to testing one.Is there anything I should look out for in these basses that normally go wrong or do they have a wide range in tone.The Bubinga wood is it very heavy on your shoulder because that's not what I am looking for.Any warwick owners out there please help?
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    i _personally_ found the bubinga corvette 4 very heavy!, but then, i am small and wussy.
  3. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have a corvette proline 6. if you can handle the neckdive (worse on the thumb bass), get it - great tone. if you can't handle the neckdive - don't get it - you're just wasting your money and your arm.

my .03 pesos
  4. " Should I buy a WARWICK! " should have been :

Should I buy a WARWICK? :D
  5. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Don't get a Warwick if you're looking for "not heavy on the shoulder". My Thumb Fretless 4-string is just about as heavy as my Conklin 7-string! That said, I also got the Blonde Thumb 4 fretted, which feels like it's barely 6 Lbs. But that one doesn't come in a 6-string.

You'll notice that the Thumb is a little lighter than the Corvette just due to size - it's a tradeoff for a little bit of neck dive, though.

If you do get one, get a wide, padded strap to help ease that weight.

good luck!
  6. Try to play (at least one of) the model that you want to buy before you plunk down your cash. As with any instrument you might have to try a few to find one that speaks to you. Folks either love them or hate them. It seems that there is no middle ground.

7. i have been looking into the corvette proline 6 myself, and i was wondering if you could just tell me what you liked, and what you didnt like about it. also, how well do you think it will handle progressive playing (ie. i do alot of shredding, so what are your thoughts as for speed of the neck)
  8. Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    I have a streamer LX Jazzman at home because someone gave it to me for a moment and it sounds very good!!! really, i even prefer the sound of this warwick compared to the US spector NSJH5CM that i had before. Try several warwicks to check by yourself but i really like their basses.
  9. sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    I have a warwick thumb 5 B.O.

I have no intentions of selling it.
    I also have no intentions of buying another warwick.
  10. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Don't expect a Warwick to sound like a Warwick and not weigh a ton! Yes, they are heavy. Yes, they have neck dive issues, especially the 6-stringers. Take all this into consideration before buying. And as oddio said, try a bunch before you buy... They are often very inconsistent tonally from instrument to instrument (even with the same woods, etc.). The good ones are fantastic, the lesser models are well... um... you know, not fantastic. I always recommend looking into the older ones with the all wenge necks and brass nuts. Weightier, but worth it in net tone! ;)
  11. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Mate, i ask myself the same question every single day.
    If i had 2K AUD, spare then yes i would.
    now, if you got the green i say go for it
  12. I second that. I also have a Streamer LX Jazzman, but a 5 string. This thing is damn light compared to my MIM Jazz Deluxe 5 string.
  13. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
  14. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    well theres your middle-ground ;).
  15. I don't mind it being a bit heavy, but is that heavey too cause shoulder injuries.The cats I have seen are a bit bigger than the average dood like me.Does that mean I have too be a body builder too buy this bass.The MEC pickups is it better than Bartolini or EMG pickups because I have heard some negative reviews about them.
  16. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i bought mine used. it came with barts.

this bass sounds great - most of the time i leave my ampeg and my corvette flat with the EQ. the issues i have are with the neck dive; it really gets me - since it's a bolt on, i'm designing an extension to be mounted from behind the body to about the 12th fret for the strap button.
  17. the best thing you could do is to go out and try a bunch. many places carry them so it should not be too hard to find a few models. I would highly recomend that you bring a strap or ask if you can try the bass standing up with a strap, because they can get heavey with the woods they use. warwicks also have a neck-dive issue especially on the 6-string models.

my only issue with warwicks is that they have a fatter neck, I like a flat-wide necks like lakland basses have. but that is purely a personal thing.
  18. Not all warwicks are heavy.

My corvette proline has a maple body with maple/wenge neck. Its pretty damn comfortablet. Next to a bubinga/ovangkol corvette, its feather light.
  19. Hmm interesting. I've been entertaining the idea of replacing my proline with a spector.
  20. A new GC opened in our neck-o-the-woods last week, and I played a Warwick 4 string fretted, and surprisingly enough I liked it. The nut width was really nice, the depth of the neck (from front to back) was a little on the big side, but comfortable, and it felt and sounded nice with the rigs that I ran it through. But I'll stick with the G&L and Fender basses I really like.