Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I Buy an Acustic Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DMBJammer, Jul 11, 2002.

Should i buy a acustic bass?

Poll closed Jul 25, 2002.
  1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. I have a Samick Pro Series Electric Bass and I enjoy the sound and the energy behind the electric bass but at the same time, I would really enjoy to be able to take my bass anywhere I go and be able to play with out an amp...should I invest in a acusic bass?

P.S. Here is a pic of my electric bass

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, the question is, do you plan to use the ABG (acoustic bass guitar) to practice or to jam with other players? If you just need something to practice, all you need is a headphone amp. Danelectro makes oone called the eStudio which can be had for about $20. It has also a distortion feature, but all you have to do is mke sure it's disengaged.

If you're going to jam with other acoustic players, maybe sing songs around a bonfire or something like that, sure, get the ABG. That's usuually what I use mine for...

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have a Washburn AB20 acoustic and it is pretty much useless for jamming without an amp. Not enough volume is the problem with all the acoustic basses that I have had the pleasure to play.

4. Thanks, that earphone sounds good. i will give that a try. but what if i want other people to hear...not really jamming but just kinda solo? what do u think?

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If you want to be heard, I suggest a Tacoma bass.

They are the loudest, best sounding ABG that Ive played, and thats why I bought it. They are somewhat expensive though, so I would suggets that you check out the budget line from Tacoma- Olympia.

The Olympia basses are nearly as good as the Tacoma, but they are not made in the US so they cost alot less.

I use my Tacoma (5 string) with my band when we are songwritting or playing acoustic gigs.

Peace
    Nick

6. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ

7. Everytime one of these ABG threads come up, I talk about how great my Ovation Elite bass sounds.

And everytime someone says "...yeah, but it's a roundback..." etc. etc.

Listen, when I got the thing I got a good strap and tied it around the head, acoustic guitar style, and you get used to it, like any new instrument.

I just want to go on record, that I think the Ovation sounds much louder and more natural than the Tacoma (which I have a true affection for, don't get me wrong).

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im sure theyre great with a strap, but without one, that round back is major pain.

Besides that, I prefer the Tacoma's sound and volume.

Peace
    Nick

9. The convex back on the Ovation is only really a problem if you don't have a concave tummy! :eek: :p Like me, and probably most humans in the vicinity. However I find that the two convex surfaces put my Celebrity Deluxe at a nice angle for me to see what I'm playing. :D

Whenever anyone asks: "What ABG?" The reply is always "they don't project enough volume to be any use unplugged...", or "Tacoma's have the best unplugged volume." Fine. No problems with either of those comments. A search of the TB archives can find loads of threads that say this. In fact there is another current thread kicking around today that says exactly this (and that I also commented to...)

However ABG's have their own sound plugged in which may suit certain situations. Then it comes down to "Which ABG's have good pre-amps, and nice plugged in tone, as well as some reasonable unplugged characteristics?" That's a discussion around construction, tone and pre-amps rather than simply loudness. One that I'd actually be interested in following.

Compare with the (silly) question: Why don't all Jazz basses sound the same? Why doesn't everybody who wants that Jazz sound just buy a Fender Jazz?

10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    No...get a better electric and a small combo.

11. Jerry, Jr.

Jerry, Jr.

Jun 7, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I purchased a very nice Mitchell acoustic/electric bass a few months back. I absolutely love it! I've had musician friends over to the house and we've sat out in the yard with our acoustics and jammed and it's just sweet.

Plus, the first gig my band played after I purchased it, we decided to do a few of the songs acoustically and it sounded great and got an excellent response from the audience.

I say, go for it!

12. thanks for you help. it kinda sounds two sided...but thanks a lot. please keep sending the replys...they really help...and dont forget to vote. thanks.

13. is this the kind of bass i need?

14. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I recently bought an acoustic .... I love it so much
    I red and posted several thread befor buying it and the problem of an ABG is it loud enought ??
    Mine IS ... I play alone and with an acousitc guitar, I'm loud enought, I usually play with 2 guitarists than I use a pick, so I'm louder, and there is no problem....

Jammin with an ABG is so nice, I play everywhere in my house and my garden .... I plan to take it for BRB-Q's with my friend ... So good atmoshpere ...
    I post a pic of mine, which is the cheapest I found ...

[​IMG]

ReGarDs
    ==Icks==>

15. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I tried one of the Martin ABG's today. For someone who never really liked ABG's I'd have to say that it's really nice, granted, this may be more than you were prepared to spend