1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should i buy an amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mitchhelpmeplez, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Mitchhelpmeplez

Mitchhelpmeplez

Aug 29, 2007
    Right now im playing with an old guitar amp i own, its not to bad for practicing and it can go pretty loud. Should i buy a bass amp though? Is the money worth it?

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yes you should. And you should post amp questions in the Amps forum.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Aren't we in the amp section? And, yes, you should get a bass amp for a bass. A guitar amp can't come close to representing the Bass frequencies with any accuracy at all. A bass amp is designed to do just that, even a small, cheap bass amp will sound better than a guitar amp. Go get one right now!

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    It was originally in Basses.

5. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    I'd look into the posts of TB member TomBowlus. His postings convinced me that I need an amp:)

ps. a bass amp is a wonderful thing. totally different cabinet design allows for all the low-end goodness to come out. You can get a nice one for very little money.

6. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    If you're going to be playing with/in a band anytime soon, then I'd say you should definately consider it.

If you're just thumping away in your bedroom, I'd say it's not so important as long as you're not dismayed with your sound/tone.

But hey, that's just me :smug: .

- Ugly.