should i buy an eden wt400 or an ampeg svt 3 pro?? advise please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cosmodrome, May 6, 2004.

1. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    hi there,

i've been playing bass for about 10 years now. i thought i had the right set up (trace va 400, peavy & swr triad with a warwick thumb bo 4) but now after playing with my own set in rehearsal for a month i found out that i'm not loud enough.

i've been reading up about the eden and the ampeg and found that the svt 3 pro (i nearly bought it, hence the profile) gets a lot of bad reviews. most svt 3 pro owners r metal/rock/punk and so on. i'm really a funk/soul/r&b and a bit of rock kinda guy, but i play in a rockband now so it needs to be loud.

any advise would be very welcome.
  2. Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Between the Ampeg and the Eden, I would choose the Eden, hands down. Unless you can find a used 400 for under $500, I'd look at the new Eden 550 head. I compared the 400 and the 550 and to this r&b, roots tone-freak, the 550 was the clear choice.
  3. Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I sold an SVT 3 pro to get an Eden WT-300 (which I've since sent to Eden to have it upgraded to the 400). Volume wise, there was no question that even the WT-300 was louder. Tone wise, it's certainly subjective, but I much prefer the Eden. It sounds great flat and I find it to be significantly more versatile. IMHO, the Eden can sound very much like the Ampeg if you wanted it to, but the Ampeg can't get many of the sounds that the Eden can.

And I agree with what's been said earlier - if you can swing it, go for the WT-550. More headroom is never a bad thing.
  4. The Ampeg SVT III Pro is kind of a gutless amp from a volume/loudness perspective. The only thing that I don't like about Edens is the parametric equalizer, I understand the principal but have never quite got the hang of it.
  5. cosmodrome

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    thanks everybody.

i had played the svt 3 pro before at the store and it didn't sound too bad but it didn't really tickle me.
    i had to try it with a 410hlf according to the musicstore fella but after reading the TB reviews and playing a wt400 i'm leaning towards eden.

thanks again
  6. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Having owned both, I would also go with the WT-400 -- it wins on almost every front. As Josh said, preferred tone is subjective, but certainly in terms of volume, portability, etc the Eden has it. If you can afford it, as also already mentioned, the WT-550 is a better value, since it has more watts, can go down to 2ohms and has a few other bells and whistles -- check out the review if you haven't already:

Best of luck,
  7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If you want volume and flexibility, you should also consider a pre+poweramp setup - its also cheaper.
    Check out the SVP-Pro or rather the SVP-BSP, too, and Eden makes a hybrid preamp, as well
  8. Yeah but then you're probably toting 30 lbs of rack, and it's bigger, and not necessarily cheaper. 400 can be had for $500 or so, an eden navigator will set you back that much too. If you could find a good ampeg pre that would still cost $300ish, and a decent size power amp will be abut that as well.
  9. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I have owned both, however, I would go with the AMPEG for the tone. The EDEN sounded too sterile and I didn't like the parametric equalizer. Nothing sounds better than an AMPEG except maybe an AGUILAR. Go for the ampeg bro!
  10. cosmodrome

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    well i bought the eden wt 400 & d410t. very very happy. volume is sufficient and the sound is just awesome! thnx everybody, you've been a great help.