1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

should I buy an empty Eden 410XLT cab(no speakers/horn)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OrangeSun, Apr 6, 2009.

1. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I might be able to pick up an empty eden 410xlt cabinet for pretty cheap. What kind of speakers/power should I expect to get out of it, and how much would it cost me to get new speakers? I'm thinking no horn, could I seal the hole where it goes?

Its selling for 100, so I'm thinking if I buy it I'll sell my ampeg 410hlf to buy sick speakers for it(and have some cash left over).

Anyone done this before?

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

You should buy Eden replacement speakers; using anything else is a crapshoot. Cabs are designed to match the speaker specs.

You can seal the horn opening and remove the crossover circuitry.

3. Yeah, buy the replacement speakers.

After 20 seconds of googling came up with this post on the Eden Forum in regards to the exact speakers you'll need...

"Call Andy at Alpha Audio Works. He'll get them for you for less than Eden will sell; they sell directly for list only.

Oh, and even though I sent you, tell him that Vinny sent you."

4. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Talk to some professional sound/electronics guys about what would work best. I've heard too many stories about Eden speakers blowing after only a couple of years - I myself blew both tens in my 210XLT with no warning. It seems to be common knowledge amongst repairmen that Eden drivers are not built to last. Have a look at this (it seems he's comparing an Eden speaker, even though he doesn't mention the name):

I'd send him an email and ask what he thinks.

5. Hmmm....I'd disagree on a coupla' things. I ran two 210XLT's for close to 10 years - one of 'em hard - before the speakers gave out. And I bought replacements, from Eden through my local dealer, for the typical discount off of list that you'd expect for most purchases.

Anyway, to the OP's question... Have you heard such a cab, and do you like it? If so, this sounds like a nice opportunity to have one at a reasonable price. I agree with the notion of using the speakers that were designed for the cabinet, and wouldn't consider others. Good luck...

6. On the other hand, if the speakers are going to run you a hundred bucks a piece per say, you might hold out for a used one with speakers. I got my D410XLT for $500.

7. I bought a D410-XLT for my daughter's bassist (www.aroarah.com) from a TB member quite a long while back. He replaced the drivers with new ones from Eden before selling to me.

Those drivers lasted an awfully long time. Chelsea pounds the crap out of this cab, to put it mildly. It survives life on the road, beer, puke, rough handling, chafing with other gear, and so forth.

I suspect most D410-XLT are treated similarly. Count on the drivers being shot, and replacing them. An empty cab might be a huge bargain for you. Make sure it is the XLT, with top and bottom ports.

OP, if you can get the cab CHEAP, and put brand new drivers inside, you have a brand new cab. They are built like Panzer tanks, so I doubt there is any structure problems. The trick is getting it cheap enough where you are not overpaying.

As noted above, the whole rig should go less than $500, and only if the finish is in reasonably good shape.

8. Hi.

As the cab in question has shelve-ports, tuning for anything than the designed drivers is difficult. Not impossible, but without measuring equipment or experience, the results might not be like planned ;).

That leaves the OEM speakers pretty much the only option. As I've never heard the cab, I wouldn't probably put $500 + some work towards it as the same amount of money buys (builds) me an Eminence neo 4*10".

Calculate the total cost and make Your decision based on that. As stated previously, the going price for used ones seem to be around $500.

Just my 0.02€
    Sam

9. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I emailed for a picture...but i doubt ill end up doing. My ampeg 410 hlf isnt doing it for me...i've got an eden 800b

10. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    I think Avatar sells speakers for very competitive prices, horns too. I've got older EV Force 10s in an Eden 210T, those sound great, so it is possible to get a set of aftermarket speakers to sound good in an Eden cab.

11. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    Not worth the effort or money IMO.
    If the cab only needed one or two drivers and you could score it for $100 then that would be a deal.