Should I Buy an esh Bass Sight Unseen?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Aug 1, 2001.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I stumbled across esh basses as I look for a new 5-string. They looked to be a pretty good deal with nice woods and advanced electronics, and the people at seemed very accommodating. Only thing is, I would have to buy it without trying it. Wise or unwise?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As long as you -

> have done your homework on the components, (make, dimensions, shielding, good woods, good bridge, et al), and.....

> can return it for a full refund, even if it's just because you don't like the sound.....

...I say, "What the hell?"

That was my rationale for my first piece of Carvin gear and none of any I bought went back. But I did all the research I could before I put in the first order because I would have had to pay return shipping.

Also, I've checked Esh out, too. What I've seen in the spec's looks attractive, including price. And I saw/heard Sammy Hagar's bassist, Mona, using one and it had a nice, distinctive sound.
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Ask the seller for a ten-day trial. If they're on the level, they should accommodate your request.
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I bought many basses sight unseen.

Spector NS-5 USA
    G&L L-5500
    G&L ASAT
    Fender 79 P bass

<b><u>Musician's Friend</b></u>
    Spector NS-5 CR
    Spector NS-4 CR (returned)

There are a few more I can't think of. The thing with all the basses I got sight unseen, I knew about the bass and/or owned similar models in the past.

Knowledge is power. :) If you're buying it used, make sure you are not over-paying.
  5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I myself wouldnt buy a bass site unseen, I prefer to play them 1st this way I know right off the bat if I like it or not, I can see if anythings wrong with it, if its in good working order, etc. And mostly because I will know how it sounds and feels straight out the gate.
  6. I had my heart set on an esh Various5, but at the last minute I decided on a Spector. I love my Spector, but I kinda wish I'd had more sack and ordered the esh. The beauty of the Various still haunts me... but with the cash I saved I was able to buy a sweet head and still had some left over for a good start on my cab.

I say if you have everything else you need, gearwise, go for it! If you don't, you'll always wonder "what if...."
  7. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany

I´ve got several Esh Basses.
    So here´s my opinions:

Esh Notorious II 5-String Real Gothic, Ebony Fingerboard

A great bass. Maybe the most defined B I´ve EVER heard... I think the 34.5" Scale does something for that. I love it. It has two Humbuckers, a great, thin neck and TONE. The EQ is very versatile (I´ve chosen 2Band EQ + Series / Paralell Switches) and sounds good.

Esh Stinger IV Custom, Custom Paintjob, Rosewood Fingerboard
    Another great sounding, very versatile bass. The Singlecoils are great.

I´ve played a Various V and loved it too. All the esh Fivers have a great b-string and are very versatile due to the esh-tronic eq.

8. Come on Rickreyn! Where's your sense of adventure? All the greatest men in history took chances: Julius Caesar, Ghengis Khan and Mr. Rodgers all bought basses without trying them first.

Seriously, this is part of the deal. How bad could it be? I bought my Jack Casady just on looks, and recommendations. I like the look of Esh basses. Be bold and daring. Become part of the club. Order that bass today. I doubt if it'll be a dud. Listen to the other guys. You never know; you buy the bass without trying it, word gets out that you're not afraid of chances - Shazaam! You're on the next Space Shuttle flight.

Do it, from one who did.
    Mike J.
  9. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I have lived dangerously before. I bought a Carvin after hours of study and mind changing, and I bought a Warwick after trying the same model in local stores. I just haven't touched as esh, therefore a bigger roll of the dice.
  10. I know what you mean. By the way, I just looked in your Bio, and noticed you have a Yamaha NE-1 parametric EQ. How do you like it? Is it any good? I'm looking to get one of them. Thanks.

Mike J.
  11. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I've bought quite a few basses sight unseen. If I don't like them, I just put them back up for sale on the net. I'd risk an Esh. They appear to be very nice instruments and one got a good review not that long ago in BP.