1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

should i buy another bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Oct 17, 2009.

1. good basses are very expensive and hard to find here in India. my cousin is coming here from the US and maybe he can get me a bass if i want. but the question is should i be buying another bass?

i only have one squier jazz bass which am completely happy with, the playability, comfort and tone is just what i want! but often people are a little put off with the 'squier' tag :-/ doesnt really bother me, but it might make my chances questionable for auditions with pro's and recordings and all?
    also, i dont feel comfortable with most other basses because they feel so different and are hard to play and getting bass from the US can be buying without playing. what do you guys feel about that?

another thing to consider is, i dont earn much at all and wont be able to buy a bass worth more than 350$ or so, money is scarce. so i cant just buy anything which wont be much use or value to me

another option is buying some nice humbucking pickups for my squier so i dont have noise issues which i face currently. but then i also think about 5ers and 6ers, having never really played one, you think its something i should seriously be checking out?
    dunno am very confused, can anyone help me decide over this anyhow?

2. If your really put off by the squire tag just ta all the tuners off an sand off the logo and say you put it together with the pups try wireing the differently or a new preamp maybe

3. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    You could try to find a fender decal to replace the squier one. This would solve the issue of judgment based on brand names for a minimum of expense.

Humbucking pickups are a good choice for you, if your goal is to kill noise. There are a lot of options out there, but if you are concerned about the whole "Legitimate Fender" thing, then make sure to get humbuckers that have exposed pole pieces.

5's and 6's are great for increasing your range, but you have to consider the cost of replacing worn or broken strings goes up when it's a 5-string set your buying.

4. am really ok with the logo and my sansamp vt bass gives me a pretty awesome tone

5. than I wouldn't change a thing Just be happy and love your bass

6. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    If it is something you can afford then do it. If not, well then don't.

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    If you're happy with what you have, don't worry about it. On the other hand...... A Peavey T-40 would probably cost you just about $350.00.........

8. if you like the jazz, you may want to step up to a MIM Jazz, you should be able to snagg one of those in your budget range...

9. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    I'm ove the opinion that if you're not happy with your current bass, or are happy, but would like to see if maybe you could be more happy with your current bass, then you should buy another one. The only way you realize what's for you or not is to play as many basses as possible.

If some one wants to hire you they're going to hire you based on your tone and on your abilities, not what instrument you play. Now, that being said, more often than not it will be easier to get your foot in the metaphorical door if you've got decent to good equipment. Not necessarily all Fodera and Aguilar level gear, but decent Hartke/Peavey/GK amps and Fender/Musicman/etc level basses. Some artists care about what the person whose going to be playing on their record plays through, because it can some times be an accurate way to judge musical development. It can also be the worst way to judge musical development, so there are two sides. I would say that if you can, book yourself a little bit of recording time, and record various clips of yourself playing to different types of drum machine beats to show your ability in different Genres if you want to be a Studio guy, or in your particular genre of choice if you're looking for a band of your own. That way you've got something people can listen to before they judge your gear.

Comfort is definitely a big concern when buying an instrument, and it's one reason why playing basses first is so important, so I don't envy the position you're in, but I will recommend some basses that have similar feel to Squiers, at least in my opinion.
    Fenders obviously; Musicman basses; G&L; (All of these are by products of leo fender); Sadowskys in my experience are kind of hit or miss as far as playing like a fender, but then I've only played 2-3 of them, so I don't know for sure. Those are all the basses that come to mind, I'm sure other TBers will be able to provide a bit more information on playability similarities.

Ok well ignore everything I said in the part above, cause they're out of your price range. You might want to advise your cousin to look on his local craigslist for a used MIM fender, which he might be able to score for around $350 or so, but beyond that you're looking mostly at the lower end yamahas, ibanezes, and other basses similar to those.

Well with only a $350 budget you're kind of limited if you want a good 5er or 6er, you might want to check out rondomusic.com and maybe pick up an SX or a Brice, those are in your price range and apparently decent quality for the money, I've never played one before so I don't know how much to expect, as far as the brices are concerned, but I know the TBers here LOVE their SX's. New pickups are also an option as well, but a lower budget alternative which might work a bit better would be to get some copper shielding tape and shield the inside of your pickup cavity as well as the bottom of your pick guard, this will help to reduce the ever so constant hum of single coil pickups, and will cost you about $6 american, if you were here in the US, I dunno what it might cost in India.

I hope this helped a little bit man.

10. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland

$335 + shipping (cough)

11. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    I would just buy noise canceling pickups and remove the squier logo. Shouldnt cost you more than 120 bucks.

12. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Hey. All of your arguments are quite sensible...my only gripe is with your chances of landing gigs hurt by the Squier logo. I realize that it is a concern, but if someone DOES say to you: "hey, you are a great player, we'd love to have you, but your gear doesn't cut it," respond to them by saying: "you know...it doesn't really matter what the logo says; to me, it's comfortable, and honestly, it sounds good in the mix. Let's jam and if you are absolutely dissatisfied with the tone, then I understand." I doubt HIGHLY they would say no to you if you sounded great in the context of the band.

If you must change something, change the pickups like you said. Fralins are fantastic, but will cost you your total $350. Like it was mentioned in the above post, you can also take off the Squier logo and buy a Fender sticker on eBay. Rockin a Squier is cool though. I'd love to have a Squier Deluxe V.

13. hech I play a schecter ( wich to some people are throw away basses ) a USA washburn ( that I have had no luck tryin to sell ) and a 2002 tradition 5string with upgrades out the wahzoo so name dosent matter .
    so yea change the pups if need be try some DeLano's sweet huge poles looks awsome not sure the sound though but take a look around !
    if you like your jazz and want somthing else get another jazz or try a p or PJ set SX from Rondomusic.com

14. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    yes

15. thanks for the replies, i can be a little more flexible with my budget. maybe i can borrow another 100$ or so.
    i am also looking at steinberger clones, i can afford them and they could be great since i travel a lot with my bass locally via public transport. but a cheap headless could be a disaster so its just another option i can check out

16. thanks for all the info.
    a friend of mine agreed to lend his is 6string :hyper: so am gonna play it around for a week and see if i should think about buying a totally different bass or not!

17. Hello from the USA! Wow, this is such a cool forum.
    I think you should just play your bass and be happy. Silence the Squier critics with your outstanding playing and tone.

18. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Here's what I would do. Buy a good quality neck like an allparts, warmoth etc and put that on. The neck is the heart of the bass IMO.

Regarding the pickups I HIGHLY recommend sticking a set of Model Js in there. They are fairly cheap at around $50 and they sound excellent. If you are really broke you can just get some copper shielding tape and shield your bass. If done properly that will solve your buzzing problems.

A new neck and new pickups will make your bass pretty dang nice.

I would stay away from steinberger style basses as I find them uncombfortable with neck dive and their baseball bat style necks (ie way too chunky).

19. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Lets keep something in mind here...this is TB...the MOTHERSHIP of GAS!!

The only plausible answer to your question is YES!!!!!!! You SHOULD get another bass. :D

Heck-have your cousin pick up a couple of SX's-you could add a p and a fretless J and have money leftover!
    Or have him find a nice used G&L Trib 2500 or a Lakland 55-01-if you can expand your price range to $500 you should be able to get one or the other and you would have a really nice 5 string.

20. bassophil

bassophil

Jan 17, 2009
    I don't know if it's been said before here because I didn't read the whole thread...

...but about the noise issue:
    you only said you have a Squire and not if it's a Precision or a Jazz. In case it's a Precision you can wire the two halfs of the pick up from series to parallel and voilĂ : you've got a humbucker.

I did this to my low budget Precision and installed a switch so I can have both, the original single coil and the humbucker sound (although i mostly play it as a humbucker).