1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I Buy Back My Polytone MiniTeeney Brute?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OldFenderPlayer, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Last year, when I was playing just rock and soul music, I sold my 1980s Polytone Mini Teeney Brute amplifier (100 watts, 12" speaker, good condition) to a jazz guitar player who fell in love with it. I used the proceeds to buy a Fender Rumble 350 combo amp.

Now I'm in a jazz group that is gigging 2-3 times a week and I'm using my 1966 Ampeg B-18N as my main amp. I love the tone and don't mind hauling it around, but I miss my Polytone.

A Stagg Electric Double Bass has recently replaced the Bill Nash '57 P-Bass that was my main jazz gig bass.

The guy I sold the Polytone to is willing to sell it back to me for what he bought it for (he's moved on to drums).

Should I buy back the Polytone and use it for jazz? Keep using the Ampeg B18? Or start using the Fender Rumble 350?

I love the B18's sound, I like the Fender's reliability, but the Polytone would be portable, plus it has a nice clean tone.

What do you think?

2. I played Polytones for many years back in the late 70's and 80's. I recently thought about going back because of the portability and purchased one. My ears have sure changed because I hated the tone. There are much better amps out these days. I suggest you move on to something else.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd keep the B-18 unless room onstage is really an issue. If you really like the Polytone, though, buy it back. A lot of folks have much love for those old Polytones. They weren't my thing but I thought they sounded quite good for their day. But I have to agree with Low Class...I think modern solid state stuff is better. I'd take a look at the Ampeg BA 112 or the Micro CL if you're into the Ampeg tone and want a good but inexpensive small amp.

4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    You might want to check out the Markbass 121P combo. I played a Polytone for many years. I wouldn't go back to it if you paid me. The 121P sounds great for both upright and electric basses, lots of power and weighs about 29lbs. I've found it to be a very good investment.