1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I buy Hartke or GK?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andrew2, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Andrew2

Andrew2

Jul 23, 2008
    Hi, I am thinking about upgrading my amp. I play rock music. My two favorites for rig are:
    1/ Hartke Kilo + Gallien Krueger RBX 410
    2/ Gallien Krueger Neo 1001/212 combo.
    My questions are:

What is the difference between GK combo 1001/212 and GK 1001 and Neo cab 212 when I would buy it separately? Cause it seems completely similar but the combo is much cheaper.

Would you buy Kilo or 1001RB head? I know Kilo has tubes inside while GK not. I like the tube sound but I haven´t heard Kilo yet.
    But I also like 1001RB sound. Also I don´t want Hartke cabs cause I think GK cabs are better and I really like RBX 410 which I had already try.

The last question is how is the sound of Neo speakers different from RBX? I´ve heard that Neo sound is totally different from other GK cabs sound. And can Neo 212 handle low B good? I believe yes, but I just want to know.
    Thank you very much.

2. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    GK, you will be playing rock, so check out Duff Mckagan's sound. Gets it done well IMO.

3. robgo

robgo

Jan 25, 2008
    UK
    It's all about what sound you want. You'll only really know when you play through them both and see which one does it for you. Personally I think GK are far superior to Hartke, for my ears. But they're both decent amps and there are plenty of people that like either.

Main difference between combo and head/cab is portability and flexibility. No difference in sound.

Do a search, get a few opinions, look at what people whose tone you like use, but none of these are really a substitute for trying one out.

Anyway that's quite enough of trying to be fair and even, Hartke suck, GK are ace.

4. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    GK.

5. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    When Hartke came out with their VX series, I bought one quickly. Then sold it just as quickly.

GK would get my vote.

6. Andrew2

Andrew2

Jul 23, 2008
    Ok, thank you very much. I will probably go with GK Neo 1001/212 combo or 1001RB with 410RBX. Now I just have to decide which cab sounds better to me. I really like RBX cab but I haven´t got any experiences with 12´ speakers so I want to try it and then I´ll see. Thanks

7. claytitan

claytitan

Mar 12, 2008
    Tennessee
    I would bet the 1001RB with the 410RBX would rock the house...Get a 15 to go under it later and blow the walls out!