Should I buy it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mongeaux, May 26, 2004.

1. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004

I'm thinking I could pop in a SD pup, string it with TI flats and have a bass for blues stuff that I can play all night and wont kill my back or my fingers.

I hate to order another bass without playing one first like I did on that Allen Woody Epiphone that I ended up returning but the two Fender dealers in my town carry a VERY limited selection.

I wonder if having a string thru body on a short scale will allow the bass to take normal scale strings. Now that would be nice!

If anybody runs across one of these things try one out and tell me what you think.

MODEL NAME Precision Bass Junior
    MODEL NUMBER 013-4000-(Color #)
    SERIES Standard Series

[Fender Color Chart]
    (506) Black,
    (558) Torino Red,
    (Polyester Finish)

New! [Fender Color Chart]
    BODY Alder
    NECK Maple, Modern “C” Shape,
    (Satin Polyurethane Finish)
    MACHINE HEADS Ping® Cast/Sealed “Mini” Tuners
    FINGERBOARD Rosewood (9.5” Radius/241 mm)
    NO. OF FRETS 20 Medium Jumbo Frets
    PICKUPS 1 Standard Precision Bass Split Single-Coil Pickup (Mid)
    CONTROLS Volume
    BRIDGE Standard Vintage Style
    HARDWARE Chrome
    STRINGS Fender singles, (.045, .065, .085, .110)
    CASE None
    PICKGUARD 3-Ply White
    SCALE LENGTH 28.59” (726.18mm)
    WIDTH AT NUT 1.50” (38mm)
    UNIQUE FEATURES 10% Downsizing of the Precision Bass,
    Knurled Chrome Control Knob,
    Dot Position Inlays
  2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    TI flats would be reeeeaaaally floppy on that thing
  3. seems overpriced to me... 379 buys a lot of used bass... heck if you are looking for a shortscale you could pick up a used musicmaster or mustang bass for around that price... i had a mustang with flatwounds, it was a pretty ballsy bass
  4. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004

Ya, it costs the same price as the normal P Bass standard. A new Fender Mustang costs only $10 more than this bass. I just thought that it would be easier to get a good pup for it since it uses a standard P bass pup.

Also, on the Mustang the truss rod adjustment is located in the heel. So that means I would have to remove the neck to adjust it. There does not appear to be any routing to let you adjust the neck while still on the bass.
  5. dont get a new one, the new ones are squiers... the old ones were made in the usa... they are much better and they will only go up in value, i bought my 67 mustang for 600, a few years later i sold it for a grand
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would get a used mustang or musicmaster. If the truss rod adjustment is on the heel, just cut part of the allen wrench off so that it fits without taking the neck off.
  7. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004

Hey thats a great idea for the truss rod. Guess I'll hit E-bay and check out some of those.
  8. good deal, the old mustangs really have a nice tone, i cant speak for the musicmasters but people seem to like them too... i miss mine and i might end up getting another at some point
  9. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i would love to have one of these. i think it would be a blast to jump on stage with one and just rock out with this tiny bass. LOL and they actually play pretty decently surprisingly enough.