Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I buy it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lockout, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    For about a year and a half now, I've been playing an Ibanez EDA905 5-string bass. It's a nice instrument, but I feel that the sound isn't quite what I need. I don't like the slap tone I'm getting out of it, among a few other small issues.

Today, I noticed a nice looking brand-new Spector NS2000/5 neck-thru on Ebay, going for around $500. Now from what I've heard on these forums, they are relatively nice all-around basses, and since the neck-thrus have been discontinued, I figured I should look into this before it's too late.

The problem I'm facing is that there aren't any spector dealers nearby that I'm aware of, so I won't be able to try it out.

oh also, fyi, I play mostly rock/metal using both fingerstyle and slap techniques.

Think I should go for it? What would you do in my situation?

2. Yeah, here's a sound clip to a Spector being slapped like a ho:

http://www.sonicimplants.com/mpg3/SonicImplantsSpector_Slap_Bass.mp3

I wouldn't spend $500 on it though. They cost $550 new or so.

But hey, it's your bass. And yes, I would DEFINITELY go with it.

Oh, and ignore PollyBass if he responds to this. He was dropped on the head as a child, and had the Spector logo burned into his memory, so he is literally crazy about Spectors. Either way he would say 'yes'.

;)

Oh, here's a fingerstyle video bite:

http://www.spectorbass.com/NewFiles/qbmovie2.html

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yeah, but this bass is new, and they don't seem to be available at online stores anymore, from what I've seen.

Thanks for the advice and clips, that's exactly the type of sound I'm looking for, I think I may go for it :)

Anyone else have any comments?

4. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    even though they show that they are in stock, I know that MF is down to less than a dozen... just so you know!

There are rumors that more NS/2000 are stockpiled somewhere, but I kinda think that whatever stores have is the last of 'em... not to put any pressure on you, but if you are going to get one, I wouldn't waste much time!

P@

5. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Hmmm...One last bump, just to see if anyone's got anything else to say before I make my decision

btw thanks guys ;)

6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I have one of them, paid $1119.00 CAD for it used...but it was worth it, expecially after I retrofitted the preamp with a second 9v battery...dude, it's a steal, get it!:bassist: :D

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Ok, good enough for me, I think I'll get it :)

Also, I've read about several of you TB'ers adding a second 9v battery to the preamp, what exactly does this do?

8. Definitely buy it. Spectors are worth every penny of the price, and probably more. I really don't think you can get a better bass for that price.

9. 9v + 9v = 18 volts

More power = more tone

10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    So..thats about $450 US ?

:bag:

;)

11. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Yeh, mebbe...but our dollar is getting better against yours each day dude!

:bassist:

12. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Update:

Well, I just bought a Black stain NS2000/5, hopefully it'll be here within a few days. Thanks for all the help guys :)

Could anyone explain how I will be able to change the preamp voltage without having to remove the original battery connector in the bass? Possibly with a diagram if you could :D

13. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    What did you end up paying lockout? I sure you will be very happy with it- its a great bass for the money. I love my Spector...

14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    You are a very smart man. A very very smart man. May the gods grant you sex, with many, many women.:bassist:

15. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I ended up paying $500 US for it brand new

lol. :)

16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    YES! i mean, whats this? hmmm,,,two basses,,,one is a spector....SPECTOR! MWHA HA HA HA HA HA!

That spector logo is burned into my memory. Looks like a fat little man with a hat.......

17. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Congratulations on your new purchase! Here's the link to the info for upgrading to 18v:

EMG Upgrade

Enjoy!

:bassist:

18. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    My new bass arrived last night, I didn't get much of a chance to play it then (it was late), so I've been playing it all day today :D

After a few small adjustments, I LOVE the sound I'm getting out of this bass. It's sooo much better than my Ibanez, especially for slap. The neck feels wonderful also.

I haven't yet tried the 9v-18v mod yet, but I'm probably going to try it tonight, I'll report back on my results :)

19. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Let us know how the mod turns out if you try it, you're gonna love the difference!