1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I buy my friends dad's old bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theohutchinson, Mar 21, 2009.

1. theohutchinson

theohutchinson

Mar 21, 2009
    Okay here's the thing, friend of mine is selling his dad's old G&L SB-1. It's apparently from mid 80's. Has few cracks and dings.
    he's asking around 400-600€ from it, he haven't decided yet.

Anyway the question is..is it worth the 400-600€ price range?

And this would be my first bass, I've been on/off guitar player for the past 4 years. Kind of lost my passion for guitar, but I still wish to play an instrument though.

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Anything G&L is a good instrument. They are the brother company to Fender, IIRC.

3. Go for it.

4. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Get it. G&L's are fine instruments, and are worth a lot more than used prices would have you believe.

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    But reading through your favorite genres, a P pickup might not be your best bet.

EDIT: Never mind, kinda.

6. CosmicRay

CosmicRay Supporting Member

Buy it while you still can....

7. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    What currency is that? If it's US$, offer him $400 (or whatever is the low end of his range), and show him the cash money. You'd be surprised how often it makes a difference in a seller's mind to see the cash.

8. theohutchinson

theohutchinson

Mar 21, 2009
    Well, he is kind enough to wait 'till I get money together. Good thing when buying from a friend. And the currency is euros.

Then there's the issue of which amp to get.
    Price around same as the bass and as long as it has earphone plug in, I'm open for suggestions. Just wanting to know which one has most bang for the buck

9. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
    Wait, what do you mean cracks? where?

10. robert43

robert43

Jun 5, 2007
    Australia
    The price is in Euros I dont know the conversion rate . He must be in Europe some where .
    My comments is you would have to say look at ebay Europe to get a value what things go in your country.
    I live in Oz & I know every things are more $ here in Oz compare to the states.

11. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    IIRC 1 Euro = ~$1.40

12. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Cracks sounds like he is talking about finish checking from age.

13. Sounds like a great price. Grab it at 400€ if you can. I don't know the European market at all but it would be a bargain in Australia or the US at the equivalent prices.

14. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    G&L was Leo Fender's third and final gear company, but G&L has no connection with FMIC.

Some G&Ls and some Fenders are made by Cor-Tek, but that's the only indirect connection and a tenuous one at that.

15. theohutchinson

theohutchinson

Mar 21, 2009
    Yea, the cracks, are on the finish, near the neck joint. Then there's some discoloring on the back of the body, few small chunks of paint missing so I can see the bodywood a bit and then there's a rather wide scratch on back of the neck near 12-15 frets. The SB-1 is most likely from 1985, if I can date the serial number correctly. I live in Finland and I think it's pretty rare piece of equipment over here, haven't come up with G&L guitars that much either over here.

Didn't find SB-1 on Ebay, but there was an early 1980's L1000 and L2000's and they were both around 1000€.
    Do I actually have a ridiculously awesome bargain here?

PS. sorry for my possibly bad english, it's not my first language.

16. Well put it this way... There's one in the classifieds here for $625 US shipped - which means you could probably get it to your house for about $750US = 550€. I'd say its a bargain- maybe not ridiculously awesome.

IMO the SB-1 is the much improved younger brother of the Fender P. Great bass- you wouldn't be disappointed.

17. L1000's and L2000's always sell for more than SB-1's. The price you quoted is fair and a decent deal but not mind blowing. But a fair price with the option to come up with the cash at your own pace is killer!!!

Enjoy the bass when you get it!

18. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Not really much af a deal but the real questions are...Are you dying for an SB-1? Have you tried other instruments in that price range and found the SB-1 to be better suited for you than them? Does it "speak" to you?

19. theohutchinson

theohutchinson

Mar 21, 2009
    Okay, we settled the price to 400€.
    And I dont think I can find anything else of it's quality with a same price tag. I like the playability, I like the overal feel of it and the fact that it's MIA.

Is it proper to ask here about the amp I should get?

20. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

400 € for a SB-1 is a super deal.