1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I buy the musicman Sterling or hold out for a Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EvanCalz, Oct 21, 2010.

1. EvanCalz

EvanCalz

Sep 12, 2010
    NYC
  2. SantiagoGT15

SantiagoGT15

Jun 22, 2010
    Praise & Worship Group Leader/Director
    Sure there is a difference , about $700...:p

I own a ray34 and well I played an EBMM Stingray and ... it was awesome , but when I played the ray34 I liked it a lot more , it has great tones pouring from it ...:)

As for me I'd definitely buy another one if something happens to mine ;)

and as if you need ratings:

Ray34 = 9.5
    MM StingRay 4 = 10

3. EvanCalz

EvanCalz

Sep 12, 2010
    NYC
    thanks a lot:]

4. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    Two different basses. The question should be "should you hold out for the real Sterling."

There's a difference, but I'm not sure it's a $700 difference -- if you find a good Ray.

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    You want an HH Bongo. The other MM basses can't even hold a candle to it.

6. You only need 150$-200$ more to a nice, used, genuine Stingray.

7. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    One is made in the USA, and one is NOT.:smug:

8. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Hold out for the real deal.

Sorry, but I'm not with you on that.

9. /thread

10. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    I don't think the "real" Stingray is $700 better. But you be the judge of that for yourself.

11. there may be a difference in fingerboard radius that could affect which you prefer. If talking Fenders, do you prefer J or P? Sterling more like a J, Stingray more like a P in terms of the radius.

12. I think he is comparing the MM Stingray to the Sterling Ray34 as opposed to the MM Sterling.

13. grunz7

grunz7

Nov 14, 2008
    chuck3 put it spot on - the USA sterling (not to be confused with the import sterlings from indonesia) has a J neck width, the stingray a P neck width, the sterling also has a slightly smaller body, also pickup and electronics are different ...

If you desire a sterling neck (there's also a cheap indonesia import sterling out there, called SB14, quite nice and around 500) I would suggest to look for a used one - GC has used US sterlings starting at 700 - and they are really nice basses ...

Good luck

14. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    I would highly recommend buying a used American made Musicman Sterling bass off of a fellow Talk Bass Member. While these basses were about $1400 new, you can get a used on for $750 - $850. I have owned both. Sterlings and Stingrays both sound quite similar imo. If you are a big guy, I might reccomend a Stingray, but for a little guy like me (5'8) the Sterling is my perfect match. As has been said, the Sterling has a smaller body and a more narrow neck. It is also typically a pound or 2 lighter. Finally, based on many years of experience buying and selling basses, you are much much better off buying a nice used bass. You will get SO MUCH more for your money and you are more likely to break even if you sell the bass in the future. Help a TB'er out...there are some nice Music Man basses listed right now. Best wishes!!

15. FakeWhiteMan

FakeWhiteMan

Jan 24, 2009
    Calvert, MD
    The Op is looking at the Sterling ray 34 vs a MM sr4... With that said, a friend and I were playing stingrays at GC and grabbed a Ray 35 thinking it was a normal Stingray... To make a short short even shorter, I ended up buying a Sterling Ray 35 because, IMHO, they sounded almost exactly the same.

16. JB36

JB36

Apr 22, 2010
    Albany, NY

Agreed. I went through this a few months ago. I was looking at new SBMM and ended up with a used EBMM Sterling and have been quite happy. Sure it has a few dings and a few swirls, but I don't mind. I based my decision on depreciation. A new SBMM for $650 would be worth a $400 in a short time. I paid $800 plus shipping for my EBMM and it's still worth close to that. Keep and eye on the TB classifieds were there are some deals to be had.

The Sterling/Stingray thing: I love the erg0nomics of the Sterling, but fatter tone from a Stingray would be nice.

17. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    Hold out for the real thing. There are great deals out there on used StingRays all the time.

I must say though, I really dig that silverburst!

18. mantaraya

mantaraya

Apr 10, 2007
  19. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump

Jan 27, 2010
    Canada
    Just reading this thread is making me dizzy. EBMM, Ernie Ball, MusicMan, Sterling by MM, Sterling, Stingray.

Did Sterling Ball really need to name their offshore company Sterling by MM when he already sells a MusicMan Sterling :confused:

Anyway, I've played both the offshore and USA made instruments. Really, there is little difference. If you can afford it, I would go for a used USA though. It's the real deal, and will likely be similar in price to a new offshore model.

If you're considering an SB14 (the offshore version of an EBMM Sterling), there is a difference between that one and a USA version. With the SB14, you can not get a translucent or natural finish, and you can't get a maple fretboard. Thats a deal breaker for me. Not sure about the Ray34 / Stingray though.