Should I buy these monsters?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sabbath1977, Jul 28, 2005.

1. I need at least 300watts of power.

2. Rumblebee

Rumblebee Guest

Mar 16, 2005
    I tried out some GK backline stuff when I was shopping around for a 300w setup. Frankly, I didn't like them much. But once again, that's a matter of taste... I actually preferred the GK 400rb/210 combo soundwise, but it didn't have quite the power that I (or you too, it seems) was looking for.

Since you already know your power requirements, you should figure out how much you want to spend and then compare all the amps in that range. If you're looking for a price tag similar to the Backline then you'll have to consider Hartke and Ashdown (two fairly different sounding amps). Get into a store with your axe and get down on these and the backline and see which one you can't stop wanting to play. If none of those do it for you, head to used shops or look on ebay, a good swr or ampeg isn't hard to find with a little digging. It's all about the sound you like and scoring a deal (and it's fun once you get into it).

For inexpensive, good cabs, people 'round here tend to recommend Avatar ( Also, keep an eye on used shops in your area. I was able to pick up a used, dependable GK 4x10 cab which works great for me. Again, if you like the backline stuff go for it, but not without comparing it against some other reasonably priced equipment. Hope that helps.
  3. Thank you very much for your help. I think I'll try other amps and cabinets before making a final decision.
  4. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Those 400RB combo's go suprisingly loud if you put an extension cab on them, even a 2x10. Pretty good stage sound too, imo.
  5. I own that right now, with the 115 also, and i think it sounds amazingly good for what i payed for it. Try it out, u might liek it, it soudns good with my fender p.
  6. I was looking at that combo too. Soon, I'm going to need a good rig! :smug:
  7. Check out if youre interested in Hartke heads. Theyre having a huge blowout on them, like 1/3 or less than MSRP.
  8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Rik's Music seems to be the place. 1001 rb II for $600 delivered, 700 RB II for $500, they have the 400 RB II as well I doubt that you can tell a difference from the 280 watts of the 400 RB II against 300 watts from other vendors. I would avoid the Backline stuff. Personally I'd go for the head and start with a used cab if you need to do thin on the cheap. If you can mive it, find an older Peavey 2x15 or 1810 or somethinglike that and do the 400 or the 700 if you can swing it. That will thump ...
  9. Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    If you just use those - ( one cab) you will only be outputting 175 watts because it is an 8 ohm cab...