Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I buy this bass? (Carvin)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Oct 22, 2004.

Carvin LB75P - Go for it?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2004.
  1. No way

12 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. Give it a shot

55 vote(s)
    82.1%
  1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have spent the past 2 hours reading about 100 threads on Carvins and have learned the following:

1) Carvins suck ass
    2) Carvins are great
    3) Carvins have blah tone
    4) Carvins have great tone

Being a lefty player. I have limited options. I have a chance at an LB75P with the following specs:

P series 5-string bass FK - 1/2 inch thick book matched Flamed Koa top FK, BST, FKPH, L, ABD, 5K

It has a 10 day return policy, so worst case i am out shipping. What do you think?

2. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Carvin aint bad well i like theyre amps and it looks like it is well specced
    what kinda money?

3. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    It looks like its worth a shot to me. I've never played a Carvin but for what its worth I've only heard good things about them.

4. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    $1100 bucks.

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    If the price was like, $400 less, I'd say give it a shot. I would never buy a carvin because I think they are ugly, but that is my aesthetic preference. I've heard mostly favorable reviews on them, but they do tend to have the occasional (very sour) lemon- better consistency than MIM Fender though. :D

For that price, you can pick up a Euro Spector, Lakland, a Stingray, etc, all which kick the pants off the Carvin IMO. Finding lefties can be tricky at times though..

At any rate, I think you can do better for $1100

6. twiz

twiz

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Don't do it... having owned a wide range of basses including Carvins, I'm really not a fan. I mean, yes, you can try it and see if it's your thing (which is fine by me) because they sure are no-hassle as far as returns. But, they are very vanilla instruments. That having been said, this is coming from a guy who sold his vintage stingray, brand new sadowsky PJ, new sterling and several other lusty basses to play an Ibanez SRX...go figure... (and no, i didn't need the money). what can i say, i dig the way the ibanez plays.

7. I've never owned a Carvin but I've played a bunch. They're not my cup of tea but they may be yours. They have uniformly excellent build quality and excellent finishes. I think the pickups are the major complaint, although I think they're ok, not great but ok. Since you're a southpaw you might want to give it a try; like you said, all you'll be out is the shipping if you don't like it.

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Carvins are pretty good, but I'd definitely shop used, not new.
    If you kept it past it's return period but change your mind later, you will take a major hit reselling it.

After being a Carvin fanantic for a long time, I tried a lot of other basses too and found you can really get a lot in that price range.

Maybe harder to find left-handed configured like you want, but I would have to say my opinion is that I wouldn't buy a new Carvin anymore.

Of course, you can buy it, try it for yourself, and send it back quick if you don't care for it. That's a pretty good arrangement, though I think it'll cost you shipping...

9. I tried a 6 string Carvin against a MPG 6 string bass (both used). The Carvin was so so against the other bass, so I bought the MPG.

Since they have a return policy, check it out. I think there are better basses for the money, especially used.

10. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Oh, and my band plays Classic/New Wave/Modern Rock Covers.

11. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I love my Carvins. Wound up selling off two Pedullas in the process of getting them, call me what you want but I dig 'em and the quality of both the basses and the customer service is very hard to beat especially in their price range.

I say go for it.

12. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I never was that impressed by Carvin basses (and even Carvin gear generally).

But I voted "give it a shot", since this bass seems to please you and, either satisfied or not, your purchase is "secured" by a 10 day return policy.

Cheers,
    JL

13. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    ...like you said you can always send it back.

Trying a Carvin for 10 days however you want, as loud as you want, on gigs, etc. sure beats trying a bass at GC and having some jerk manager turn you down after 10 minutes!

I own a Carvin and I played 3 others. IMO, they cannot be beat for the money including the brands mentioned elsewhere above. That's my opinion. The construction quality is above anything else for $1000. Tone, OTOH, is a matter of personal preference. So, give it a shot. It's worth a try.

Tom H.

14. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Couple questions:

Koa? sound vs ash or maple?
    String spacing? I like narrow. It seems narrow
    Any growl for rock?

15. My Avatar, LB75AP, thats the "Anniversary" edition. Plays easy, sounds great, versatile with the piezo and split coil humbucker. Not the "vanilla" like less expensive models. Well made quality American workmanship. My only complaint is the low B is a little floppy. I would consider the XB model with the longer scale, 35.5 instead of 34" to tighten it up. But ultimately it's a personal decision. You have a ten day return policy, but I bet you'll keep it ! ;)

16. If you like narrow string spacing, the standard LB75 neck would be better than the wide assymetrical neck. I have a Carvin 5 string kit bass. I like it, but I think I will like the neck on the BB75 I ordered more, since I have large mitts.

The humbucker on the bass in the picture will give it growl, I have one on mine also.

17. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I have owned a Carvin. They are well made. I love the neck. Tone was not very exciting. I popped in a Basslines for a while and wow what a difference, but it is a much hotter PUP. And IMO you will be missing out on the best feature of buying a Carvin, USED THEY SELL FOR AROUND HALF OF WHAT THEY SELL FOR NEW!!!!! :crying: So anyone buying Carvin I say BUY USED. That is when you get a good bass at a great price....................On the other hand if you have ten days to try it and you love it and intend to keep it , GREAT. Just remember you will be lucky to get $600 or so after the ten days is up!!! :smug: That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

18. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Carvins are very hit and miss man. I love mine, I've heard stories of ppl who HATE them. There customer service seems hit/kmiss too depending on who you talk to. I'd say if you don't mind losing shipping money (which is like what 20 bux?) Go for it, like you said you either love it or worst that happens you don't and return it. Also it's a 5, so if the electronics leave somehtign to be desired it'll be fairly easy to find a 5 string humbucker and J pup as opposed to replacements for a 6.

EDIT: I imagine you could get some decent growl out of it. (mine's fretless... so yeah... not the growliest but hey..) Also depends what you run it through / pre amp. The mahogany has a sweet sound and I don't think the string spacing is very wide...

19. etherbass

etherbass

May 24, 2004
    hey man.. use the cash and a get a good solid fender or musicman... something solid. i have never played a carvin but every recorded carvin i have heard (bunny brunel, timothy b. schmitt) sounded kind of bland. kinda like watered down. on a rare occasion you may want this, maybe if your playing a VERY supportive role as a bassist. but usually you want some color and depth to your sound.. fender, musicman or soemthing like that will give you that good strong tone.

20. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Odly enough I feel the same about fender.. well save Jaco but all the models I've played ( and MANY I've heard) just seemed yuck! maybe I have bad fingers. Musicman is also a good idea if you can find a lefty for that price. I'd still say play the hell out of it for 10 days and if you aren't satisfied send it back.