1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I buy this G&L L-2500 Tribute?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Raman, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Raman

Raman Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Hi,

(This is my second thread on these basses. Sorry, but I thought it’d be simpler than burying this at the bottom of the other thread.)

So I’ve been semi-actively looking for a new fiver these last couple of months. The models that interest me the most so far are the G&L Tribute L2500/M2500. I haven’t found an L at a local store so I could only try an M, and then listen to different demo videos, such as Ed Friedland’s.

Anyways, an ad popped up today in the local classifieds. A L2500 Tribute, mint with brand new strings and a case, all for 550$. That seems like a very nice deal.

Thing is, I wasn’t quite ready to buy yet. I wanted to sell another bass first, which needs to be evaluated. But I’m thinking maybe I should jump on this. (It’s a little market here and these basses are not common in the local ads.)

Also, at first I was very much into the L for its tone versatility and major growl. But Ed says its pups are so hot they can be a bit too much at times (too much mids that you wished you could roll back, if I remember his words correctly). I’m not a very "in your face" bassist. I like that the L can dial in plenty of growl, but I’m afraid maybe it’ll be too much. So I was starting to think maybe I should go M rather than L, for a sound that sits more comfortably in the mix.

But now there’s this ad… If it were a M, I think I’d already be negociating. But being an L, I’m afraid I might regret.
    I’m planning on calling the seller this evening to ask if he minds that I go try it a bit before making a decision.

-But what are your impressions concerning the above comments by Ed Friedland?
    -What are different pup configurations that I should try in order to get a good appreciation of what the bass can do? (Some people say the L2500 can go in P-bass territory… How?)
    -And what do you think of that deal?

Thanks immensely.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  2. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN

3. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Well, I'm not getting rid of mine because of what he said.:D My Tribute is my primary and I've never found it too "mid". Have to like big thick necks (and I didn't think I did until I got the L-2500.) Got mine new for $500, but am convinced someone screwed up the website ad. Another TB'er tried to buy one for that price after I mentioned the ad on TB and he called to store to buy one. He was told they had never sold one for that price and couldn't sell one for that price. Love mine.

4. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    There's always another bass. Always another deal.

A little willpower is a good thing

LowEZ likes this.
  5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Local classifieds? Then go play it and see if it works for you. Don't go thinking that you MUST buy. Go check it out.

Remyd likes this.
  6. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

No such thing as "too much growl"....thats why you have all of those switches and knobs. Im sure you can dial back any overdrive for any situation. Also, $550 is an OK price for a Tribute. I have seen less, but since you need one....I would pay that if it was clean with a straight neck.

7. Raman

Raman Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Thing is, it is not so very local, but a few hours drive away. So the pressure would be intense if i had to borrow or rent a car and went all the way there.
    I wish i could find a store in town that had both so i could rather try them back to back. :(
    It seems stores here either sell g&l or fender, and that most have a contract with fender. The one that carries g&l only has an m2500. I'd have to order an l2500 before trying it live.

Anyways , i decided i'd calm down and start by selling the other one before i do anything. Hopefully, i'll find something else then.

8. Raman

Raman Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    When going through ads... Does the year matter in a Tribute, or are the specs always the same?

9. I have a L-2000 Tribute. I added a mod to it and just love the options. I don't think I need a mid control, but I'm not Ed Friedland, so take my opinion with a pitch of salt. . Personally, I would buy it, but I haven't looked at the M series.

10. Jonny Mah

Jonny Mah

Nov 9, 2009
    Toronto
    I bought one the first year they came out - maybe 2004 ish - and it is still my main bass. Yes, the pickups are a little hot (and you need to roll off some volume when running both coils) but the tone is amazing both live and in the studio. The thing is also built like a brick poopie house and the only other electric bass I have that comes close in that regard is an '85 Squier. The Tributes are for the most part excellent instruments, and are far superior to just about anything else in their price range.

11. Raman

Raman Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    I'm most definitely no Ed Friedland either! :) I just find it frustrating to have to rely on youtube videos and testimonies to try and assess the differences in the 2 models.
    Also, I normally have a Sansamp DI in my effects loop, which can really colour the tone on some active basses. That's another element that I can't factor in unless I try both of them live.

Good news is I have more free time now, so I can try to find more stores and maybe hope to hit one that carries both models.

12. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have an M, and I've played L's. The L to me was exactly as you described. Too clanky, and hard to manage. It's also hard to change your sound mid song - it somewhat complicated as far as basses go, and the M is much easier to make changes with on the fly. I get plenty of growl from my M, no problem there or problems sitting in the mix. If you are not an "in your face" kinda guy, the M sounds like more your calling. Remember also that the L neck is even thicker than the M, which on the 4 string is already P neck width.

Also, if you can have some patience, wait for a deal on the M. Last year there was a Stupid Deal of the Day for an M 5 string at $499.00 new.

Raman likes this.
  13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    they trade for less than that here, all the time. search the classifieds.

tastybasslines likes this.
  14. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, I saw a near mint one for $450 - very nice.

15. Raman

Raman Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    If I can buy locally to 1) try it first and 2) avoid shipping and custom fees, it's a plus. But yeah, I'm also checking. :)

16. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    How far is the border for you? You could always get it shipped to a UPS store near there, and pick it up instead. There is no charge for it.

17. Raman

Raman Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Didn't know they did that. Thanks. (I'm about 3-4 hours away.)