1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should i buy this Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 96tbird, Aug 18, 2012.

1. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Fender dating project says its a 61, but because it's three pots I'm would say early 62; I did read that late 61 they made the change, but I'll call it a 62. Looks like a case badge is screwed on it and the refin looks well done. So well done that I have concerns. Wouldn't there be staining from the black sunburst paint? Is this a custom order? The owner is77 and has had it for over thirty years, I don't think he's lying. Anyway I'm gonna go look at it on Sunday. What would you pay?

Attached Files:

2. bob atherton

bob atherton

Mar 8, 2005
    No idea of its worth but, apart from the case badge, I love it!

3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The photo is inadequate for authentication or appraisal. :meh:

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  4. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    How much does he want for it?

5. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    First, I'd slap the guy for screwing that badge into the wood! Jeez...

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  6. Ivan M

Ivan M

Aug 2, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    What are those markings on the fretboard?

7. are you going to play IT? If you are a not, don't buy it. If you are a player, does it play well? If it does not don't buy it. If it doesn't sound good don't buy it.

8. Ivan M

Ivan M

Aug 2, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Unless the old man just wants 500 bucks.:bag:

9. 96tbird

Yes well he's an old time fiddle band red neck straw in his teeth kinda guy. I suspect when that was done the bass wasn't worth what it could be today. I haven't seen it in person yet.

10. 96tbird

I wonder; there's three frets that show them in the pic. I'll see them close when I go in person.

11. 96tbird

The serial number checks out. I have had two long conversations with the seller and he' has little reason to lie. He sounds the 77 years old he claims to be.

I plan on pulling the neck and checking the pocket, looking at the wiring, slab rosewood, etc.

If it all checks out my feeling is that like other refins I've seen on broker listings, it's worth over five k on the collector market. I will play it and love it as it is if I get it and I won't be paying five k for it. But the seller has a lot of interested parties so far. I get the feeling he wants a good guy to own it. He really wants me to come and see it.

12. 96tbird

Obviously I am going to play it.

Does it play well? Who cares if the neck isn't warped and the truss rod operates it can be made to play well. Apparently you don't know that.

If it doesn't sound good? Come on, jeepers...., never mind.

13. Itzayana

Itzayana

Aug 15, 2012
    Oakland Ca
    Yeah, whoever put that thing on there should be publicly flogged.

14. 96tbird

Hoping for a voice of reason...

15. BigRedBassPlayer

BigRedBassPlayer Supporting Member

So? How much?

16. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Yes, buy!! $6k to $8k.

Go for it! I love spending other peoples' loonies and twonies!! :)

17. 96tbird

Probably a quarter of those amounts.

18. 96tbird

He's had offers to 1700 so far. Oh and one offer of a polar bear rug ostensibly worth 5k

19. BigRedBassPlayer

BigRedBassPlayer Supporting Member

It's a great looking bass. I would defiantly do what you plan on doing. Give it the complete run down in person. If it's all original, even with that badge, it's well worth it. You take it off if you don't mind the screw holes, which I'm assuming is what's keeping it on. And the inlays. Whatever those are. haha You can't beat an old Fender. Even with the imperfections.

20. 96tbird

That's what I'm thinking pappas. If I take the badge off I'll just put some screws in the holes and never look back.