Should I buy this MTD Kingston Heir?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by beakertwang, Sep 19, 2016.

1. beakertwang

beakertwang I play guitars, mostly. I have a bass.

Aug 8, 2016
    SE Iowa
    This is available locally for $225 OBO. I have no experience with these; hadn't even heard of the brand until I saw the ad, but it looks to be priced fairly. I imagine if I flash $200 he'll take it. I'm not trying to make money on a flip, but it would be nice to have a decent player, and be able to sell it without losing anything.

Equally important, how do they play and sound?
    9C7D21FB-2F40-4451-9DB7-392540445C0C_zpslibdz6p7.jpg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  2. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Very ergonomically designed neck. Asymetrical and it gets wider as you move up the neck. MUCH wider. However, I found it to be extremely comfortable to play. Never had a problem with hand cramping, fingers stumbling on top of each other, etc. Very nice. Seriously, if I ever purchase another new bass, the neck will be like this one.

Tone? It's Michael Tobias. Not as bright as the MIA's but really nice. For that price - if nothing is seriously wrong with the bass - go for it. From what I remember, this is the passive, early version. Practically a collector's item already. Get it.

3. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    I had a 5er kinda like that, but with just the bridge hum, I really liked it. I imagine that one would be a really good bass for $200, is it Korean? I like that pickup configuration. If it's Korean, it should be well worth the $200, I say go for it. It was a long time ago, I think I replaced the stock pots with CTS, I don't think I noticed any difference.

4. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    It looks like an older passive Heir... I have an active one that looks just like it minus the pick guard. The active ones have & knobs V/Bal/B/M/T. Kingston's are nice basses. Very nice necks... very solid build. $200-$225 is a very nice price for it. It should weigh in at about 8-9 lbs with 19mm string spacing I believe but they are really solid basses as long as everything is good build wise.. no dead spots and a good neck etc.

5. beakertwang

beakertwang I play guitars, mostly. I have a bass.

Aug 8, 2016
    SE Iowa
    Does that mean it's very narrow at the nut? Narrow 4-strings always feel weird to me. I can live with a narrow 5er, but even though I'm really a guitar player, I prefer a wider neck on a bass.

6. That's a steal at that price. Google it. They routinely go for $300-$500. Even if you don't like it, which I doubt, you can sell easily and probably even make some money. I've been looking for a cheap one for a few years and never seen one that cheap. You'll love the neck they feel great. At that price you could even change out the electronics. But I think they sound very good as is. I can't believe it's still available at that price. Just buy it now!

7. Per my "handle", I have a 2009 MTD Kingston Heir (Korean made) and love it. Very comfortable neck and body with great tone. If the one you're thinking of is in decent shape, that seems like a good price. You will not be disappointed with it. Let us know how it works out for you.