Should I buy this MTD Kingston Heir?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by beakertwang, Sep 19, 2016.

1. beakertwang

beakertwang I play guitars, mostly. I have a bass.

Aug 8, 2016
    SE Iowa
    This is available locally for $225 OBO. I have no experience with these; hadn't even heard of the brand until I saw the ad, but it looks to be priced fairly. I imagine if I flash $200 he'll take it. I'm not trying to make money on a flip, but it would be nice to have a decent player, and be able to sell it without losing anything.

Equally important, how do they play and sound?
    9C7D21FB-2F40-4451-9DB7-392540445C0C_zpslibdz6p7.jpg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  2. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Very ergonomically designed neck. Asymetrical and it gets wider as you move up the neck. MUCH wider. However, I found it to be extremely comfortable to play. Never had a problem with hand cramping, fingers stumbling on top of each other, etc. Very nice. Seriously, if I ever purchase another new bass, the neck will be like this one.

Tone? It's Michael Tobias. Not as bright as the MIA's but really nice. For that price - if nothing is seriously wrong with the bass - go for it. From what I remember, this is the passive, early version. Practically a collector's item already. Get it.

3. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    I had a 5er kinda like that, but with just the bridge hum, I really liked it. I imagine that one would be a really good bass for $200, is it Korean? I like that pickup configuration. If it's Korean, it should be well worth the $200, I say go for it. It was a long time ago, I think I replaced the stock pots with CTS, I don't think I noticed any difference.

4. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    It looks like an older passive Heir... I have an active one that looks just like it minus the pick guard. The active ones have & knobs V/Bal/B/M/T. Kingston's are nice basses. Very nice necks... very solid build. $200-$225 is a very nice price for it. It should weigh in at about 8-9 lbs with 19mm string spacing I believe but they are really solid basses as long as everything is good build wise.. no dead spots and a good neck etc.

5. beakertwang

beakertwang I play guitars, mostly. I have a bass.

Aug 8, 2016
    SE Iowa
    Does that mean it's very narrow at the nut? Narrow 4-strings always feel weird to me. I can live with a narrow 5er, but even though I'm really a guitar player, I prefer a wider neck on a bass.

6. That's a steal at that price. Google it. They routinely go for $300-$500. Even if you don't like it, which I doubt, you can sell easily and probably even make some money. I've been looking for a cheap one for a few years and never seen one that cheap. You'll love the neck they feel great. At that price you could even change out the electronics. But I think they sound very good as is. I can't believe it's still available at that price. Just buy it now!

7. Per my "handle", I have a 2009 MTD Kingston Heir (Korean made) and love it. Very comfortable neck and body with great tone. If the one you're thinking of is in decent shape, that seems like a good price. You will not be disappointed with it. Let us know how it works out for you.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021