Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

should i buy trace elliot amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by streaky bacon, Jun 6, 2003.

1. yes, buy it

12 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. no, dont buy it

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. i don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. i don't care

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. streaky bacon

streaky bacon

Mar 2, 2002
    belgium
    hi,
    some guy I know is selling a trace elliot "ah300smx" head and large 4 speaker cabinet ( 1048(h?),i think?) all for 750 euros (about 500 pounds, or 750 US dollars)but he brought it 2nd hand from his bass teacher! do you think i should buy it or not? please help me cause i dont know what to do and ive got a gig in 3 weeks!
    thank you very much, tim walker.

2. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

NNNNnnnnnnnoooooooooo!!!!!!

Trace Elliots go from hand to hand for a good reason. They stink!

The sound of the TE is pretty good, but some, not all are unreliable. It is common to see a TE go through 4-5 people because they break down and need to be tinckered with.

I know that there are guys who love them. God bless them, they got a good one. I had a bad experience with one that I had fixed 2-3 times in 5 months. It still "farted" when playing between E and A. It now sits at its 6th owner's garage.

I now play through a Eden Metro combo and I love it.

Good luck.

3. What alternatives do you have? What is the second hand bass gear market like in Belgium. If this country is anything to go by, then secondhand 4x10s are quite hard to come by, likewise Trace Elliot amps.

If you need a bass rig for your gig then you could do a lot worse than TE. All the gear you mention is good quality and as long as it has been looked after and is in good working order then that is a reasonable price.

4. Well I'm sure streaky would love an Eden Metro combo, so would I, but £500 in Europe would not buy you half of one, even secondhand, if you could find one.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with a Trace Elliot. I've had one for six years with no problems.

Trace amps certainly do not stink.

5. Even if it was just the 1048h you should buy it.
    The 1048h is one seriously good cab, can take serious punishment and keeps standing tall.
    I see it this way: a great cab and the guy throws in an amp for free! ;)
    Trace Elliot gear rules, great tone.

EZ

6. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Trace Amps are great. I have owned them since 1995
    and have dragged them all over the place,and never had a problem. The smx gives you a 12 band
    EQ, the red slider is 30hz, great for tweeking your sound on the low "B" if you play one.The 1048H cab is the best 4x10 out there IMO. here is my AH600SMX W/ 1048H & 1518.[​IMG]

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I COMPLETELY disagree with Bassmanbob. I've played Trace for a while, and it has been completely reliable. The guy I bought my amp from, bassonly, a fellow talkbasser, has had numerous Trace amps with never a problem. I don't know what the UK market is pricewise, but I wouldnt hesitate to endorse the purchase of a Trace if it was at market value....

8. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Maybe I got a lemon. I liked the tone of the amp, but I did have problems. I guess you should look to see if it has had a number of previous owners. Before I bought mine, I was looking on ebay. I had noticed that some of the TE equipment had more than one previous owner. If the equipment has had one owner, then maybe it's worth it.

I'm glad to hear that most of you guys have had good experiences with the TE stuff. Just because I've had bad experiences with one doesn't mean I want other people to have the same experience I had.

Once again, good luck with what ever you buy.

9. So do you trust this guy not to sell you a lemon Streaky.

Has he had any problems with it and why is he selling it

10. streaky bacon

streaky bacon

Mar 2, 2002
    belgium
    thanks very much for you responses, in answer to Andy Martin, he's selling it cause hes goin to uni and got no space, and also i have played on it in a gig and it sounded good, and looked to be working well! also i would like to add that i agree with easy rider about the buy the cab get amp free! thanks again cause i was expectin no one to reply! i will probably buy it soon!

11. Persuader

Persuader

Feb 7, 2001
    upstate,ny
    My TE AH250 had some connection probs from vibration. I went in and cleaned/tightened things and it was better.

It looks like well built stuff...although;i'm now using an Ampeg V4,and like it better....tube thing i guess.

12. Oops. Ever felt like eating your words.

I've just been up to the bass centre in London to collect my Trace head which was in for a service and my Bag End cab which was making a farting noise on the E and A strings, and they tell me that the cab is fine, it was the head that was faulty!!! It's blown a couple of output trannys.

Oh well. It's been reliable apart from that. Apologies to Bassmanbob.

If it sounded fine when you used it then it's probably ok.

Still a good buy IMO

13. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    NO!
    Trace Elliots are VERY unreliable, the components are cheap and they are badly put together.
    They will run fine for a while but when things start to go wrong they do so in a very big way.
    They are very hard to work on too if things do go screwy. (expensive)
    Parts are getting very hard to come by too since Gibson bought them out.

14. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Sounds like a reasonable deal! I've been using Trace stuff for about 12 years now. Never had an issue! Am on my second Trace Rig - love the sound, love the looks!

If you've used the stuff already and liked it, and you trust theseller - why not! You can also ask him if there is any history of problems with it!

15. Hey, NV43345, nice rig! I got about the same setup, only newer versions (AH500-12) and an 18" instead of a 15". See:

[​IMG]

I love the tone of this rig.

EZ

16. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Cool! My setup is the same head as you, the 1048H but I use a 1 x 15! I was gonna get the 1 x 18, but couldn't afford it at the time, so plugged for the 1 x 15!

I'm actually getting ready to trade out my cabs for Ashdown Mini 4 x 8 and 1 x 15 cabs to give my back a chance (had some back issues lately, seeing a chiropractor....)

17. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I can relate on the back problems, I go to the chiropracter once a month for an adjustment.My Trace rig stays home these day's, great for house parties.What I put together is a my new light rig
    I tried to get the lightest of everything and still have enough juice. so i wound up with a Ampeg PB250 head 14lbs, and a Hartke 2x10 transporter 32lbs and a SWR workingman's 15 45lbs
    I know it is a strange combination of gear, but it sounds great, and way easy on my back.it does not have the power of the TRACE or the tone
    of the TRACE,but I can carry it all, and it all fits in my car.let me know how the Ashdown's work out. [​IMG]

18. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Thanx, Is that a 67 GTO ?

19. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Will do! My 'light' rig is an Ashdown Electric Blue 130 driving a single 15" speaker. Marvellous, 130 watts but this baby is loud, and Ashdown near enough has that Trace tone - which is why I like it so much!

That's the main reason I demoed the Ashdown Mini Cabs - will let you know how they sound with a Trace AH500 head.....I already know how they sound with an Ashdown EVO 500!

20. ozellman

ozellman

Jan 6, 2003
    Sweden
    The Ashdown Mini 4*8" and 15" is a killer combination. I tried out with an Ashdown ABM 300 EVO head and was struck with the clarity and bottom end, even with a 5 string.

Ozellman