Should I buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SenorQueso, Jul 10, 2005.

1. SenorQueso

Jun 28, 2005
    Boca Raton, fl
    I was wondering if I should buy a Warwick Corvette Standard fretless, or a Warwick Thumb fretless?

I'm looking for a opinion from a person who owns either one.
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What are you looking for in a bass? Why kind of music do you play? etc.

They're quality instruments, so if you're looking for that to be answered, but it if you like it, they'll hold up. Just not my bag of chips.
  3. SenorQueso

Jun 28, 2005
    Boca Raton, fl
    I'm looking for something that sounds good with slapping, popping, and all that stuff. Also something that is going to last me a while, and will not break down alot.

I like to Slap-rock, Hard-rock, Funk, Jazz, and Rock..
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds like the bass for you! Ultra reliable, punchy sounds, great for slapping, popping and all that stuff, and will certainly last you a good long time.
  5. you mentioned you want a fretless but you also mentioned you play slap and pop stuff though it is not impossible to slap a fretless (ala claypool) for slap your better off with a fretted and both which are great for slap. personally i would go for the thumb
  6. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Why do you want a fretless for slap and for rock?
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Those are both great instruments. I have not played both of them as fretless (Corvette only), but based upon how they both felt in my hands (the fretted versions, that is), I thought that the Corvette was just a tad more comfortable. So, the obvious answer is, if possible, try them both out and see which one feels the best to you.

8. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I vote Corvette. I have a Corvette Standard fretted and tried a Thumb in a store. I much prefer the Corvette's body shape because I can wear it lower (belly height) and it balances just right for me. The Thumb, with its short upper horn and concave back, neck dives like crazy unless it's worn around chest height (which is optimal for super aggressive slapping,) but I don't really like wearing a bass that high. In addition, I prefer the tone of the Corvette. The bubinga lends more clarity to the tone than the ovangkol body wood used on the Thumb, which has a deeper growl. The Thumb has an authoritative slap sound, to be sure, but doesn't quite have the high-end zing/twinkiness that the Corvette has.

With SIT Silencers, the slap tone on my Corvette is heaven; it's meaty with great clarity. And keep in mind, I'm not a very good slapper. So if it can make me sound good slapping, then in the hands of a skilled slapper (like my housemate) it's the voice of God.

Honestly, I don't think you can really go "wrong" with either bass, but I still say Corvette.
  9. SenorQueso

Jun 28, 2005
    Boca Raton, fl
    I'm probably going to go down to the guitar center soon to try them out. Hopefully they've got fretlesses.
  10. I reckon the Corvette will have more tonal variation than the Thumb. Something to keep in mind.

Otherwise, they are both great basses!