Should I call out this repairman?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Floating teetH, Jun 29, 2004.

1. After a gig, all the jacks on my 4x10 were messed up, so I went to the place where I purchased it, and they reccomended me to some guy. So now this fat lazy stoner has my cab, and he claims that the tweeter is blown. Now I hadn't noticed any such thing, and a friend of mine tells me that every time he's brought his cab for repairs, someome always says his tweeter is blown. So the question is, do such people commonly lie about tweeters being blown so they can rip people off? (seems like it would work more easily than other attempts at ripping people off)

I realize this is a strange question, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    You would be able to tell if your tweeter was blown right? I would get it back if I didn't feel comfortable with "Comic Book Guy" working on it. You could just tell him to only fix the jacks.
  3. comic book guy seems afitting title for this fellow.

Yeah, I guess I should be able to get it back with just the jacks fixed, I've had some trouble getting in touch with the guy, though, which is part of what makes me suspicious.
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Always demand that you get your OLD parts back as well. That way you can tell if he really replaced the part. You'll know if the old part matches the original specs.

If it were me, I'd decline and tell him that I had another tweeter at home that I'd put in myself. Be certain to check when you get your cab back that you have the original spec tweeter, in case he swaps your good original one for any old blown one he has laying around the shop.
  5. I'll be sure to do that, thanks for the advice. :ninja:
  6. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    what's wrong with the comic book guy? :D
  7. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Worst tech ever!