Should I change cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by laklandman, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Hi guys, it's been awhile since I've posted but I needed some input on something. I am currently using an Eden Navigator pre with a QSC PLX1602 and An SWR Goliath III. My tone is good-real good. I get compliments from my bandmates (they are mostly seasoned musicians who have played with nationally renowned recording artists, so I value their opinions). I just can't get the Eden 410xlt out of my head though. I know "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but I wonder if my sound could be better for me. I like the vintage sound alot with lots of growl and I also wonder if the Eden would be a better match for my Navigator/QSC than the SWR. What do you guys think? And don't be afraid to recommend other cabs that I haven't mentioned (Aguilar, Bergantino, Epifani, etc.). I prefer 10 inch speakers. Thanks for reading!
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i wouldn't nmake the move from the goliath 3 to the xlt. they're both great, but if your sound is good, don't mess with it. If you really want a huge improvement IMHO, Look into the epifani 310 UL or 310 NYC. Trust me, every bit as loud as your 4x10, the UL weighs nothing, and they both will make the swr and eden sound like they have a blanket on them. BTW, bring your checkbook. You know, the one with a LOT of money in it.
  3. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    of course i didnt even mention trying a bag end S15X-D and a S12-D. A different sound than the epi, but still smokes the swr and eden 410 cabs IMHO. :cool:
  4. Thanks guys! Hey Angel (and somebody can coreect me if I'm wrong ) I think the PLX1602 puts out 1600 watts at 4ohms. I'm currently running bridged into 8ohms and I know it's putting out 1100watts. Man those Shroeder cabs sure are power hungry! Hey Ivan, yeah I thought about those epifanis but always wondered how well they woul kick compared to a 4-10. I may try one! Thanks guys for the suggestions, keep them coming!
  5. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    OK, if you're happy with your sound why are you doing this? You will get all kinds of recommendations(mine being Bergantino) and you will drive yourself nuts. Be patient, if you hear something somewhere that you think sounds better than what you have, look into it. Remember, it's not just the speaker cab, but the sum of all of your components that is giving you your tone. Your components with a different speaker cab, no matter how good or popular it is, may not acheive what you are looking for. There are many bass players here that would love to be where you are instead of constantly searching for the rig they are happy with. So listen to all of the suggestions and move with caution.
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    IMO, change cabs ONLY if you can afford the new cabs without selling the old. That way you're not burning bridges.
  7. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    I had an SWR Goliath III and did comparison to my Eden 410XLT. To my ears, a huge improvement with the Eden. The PAS drivers that SWR is using don't work for me.
  8. CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    the schroeders aren't power hungry. just the opposite. they are very efficient. extremely loud for their size. i have the 21012 and it just kicks. however they do handle A LOT of power. i love my cab but they aint for everybody. it will sound a lot different than either the swr or eden. the swr is a respectable cab. i know lots of guys who gig exclusivley with them. imo i think the eden is a small step up, but maby not worth it for money you'll spend, compared to what you already have. i would check out a lot of boutique brands (epifani, bergantino, and if you can find one a schroeder) they will give you an idea of what you might be missing in your sound and not even know it. is that a g.a.s. line or what.

seriously baby steps. if you got a good sound allready you can afford to be patient.(a lot of us can afford nothing but patience) the right cab will come along, hell you may already own it.

btw every time ivan pops up with his bag end spiel i get a little bit more curious about a pair of 15 coax's. damn you ivan!
  9. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    amen bro, amen
    double amen. It really takes a long time to decide which you prefer in a variety of situations, (live, in the store, at practice, outside, etc). As an example, i recently had to pick between my alembic and demeter preamps due to financial crap. It honestly took me two years to determine which one i preferred, and that was only by a little. I still would have liked to keep both as they were two great sounds. But the point is, It really takes time to figure out what you like better.
  10. Reefer;
    Thank you man! That was probably the greatest post of them all (and they were all good). I honestly did think about the fact that I was very fortunate to be having this problem before I posted; I just thought maybe I was missing something. I'm the type of guy who is going to screw around trying to find the "Holy Grail" of bassdom when I may be holding it right in front of me. I think I'm just going to play my rig as is right now and just enjoy the sound, rather than wonder if it's the best it can be. I really am blessed to have what I have and to have run across someone who has called me on the fact that I may have lost sight of this. Thank you all for your replies and Merry Christmas. By the way, I am listing a Goliath Jr. in the classifieds if anyone is interested. Bye!
  11. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I think I've never heard the the words "Eden cabs" and "Vintage" in the same sentence before. I love the Eden cabs, but to me the sound anything but vintage.

The Eden 4x10 is very heavy. I almost bought one but I'm not a big guy - I could barely pick it up. I addition to Heavyduty's rule about not selling the old cab when you buy a new one, I also never buy anything I can't comfortably lift by myself.
  12. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I doubt that you'd notice a tremendous difference going from a SWR 4-10 to an Eden 4-10. If you really want to try improving/changing your sound IMO you should try a different configuration cabinet(s) (single or combinations of a 2-10, 1-15, 1210, 2-12......
    Bottom line though, as others have stated, "if it isn't broken don't fix it"! :)
    Also, for what it's worth I play through a SWR Goliath III and a Goliath Jr. III and love the sound. Of course I'd still like to check out one of the new Accugrooves and maybe a 1210 Schroeder! :hyper:
  13. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I'm more GAS immune than most, at least in the sense I never get the hots for anything in particular - I have a list to choose from. But I constantly play with tone in one aspect or another. When a bug gets in the ear to do something different, it doesn't go away or it wouldn't be there to begin with. For the most part, you either do something about it or you think about it until you do something about it.

Keep your existing stuff and pick up whatever up (the old stuff is good, you need it to do comparisons, and you'll probably prefer it anyway). I keep a steady flow going by picking up stuff used at break even prices. Amps, pups, speakers, whatever - it's always something. Otherwise I feel like you do now, and that sucks.

Change is good - as long as it's reverseable.
  14. Yeah guys-great advice. I think we are all kinda in the same boat of "I wonder what this would sound like" etc. I'm just gonna stick with what I have until I hear something I like better, then figure out how to get that sound. You guys are great!