1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I change my basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nicopiano, Jun 5, 2014.

1. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    I own 2 basses:

- SBMM Ray 35 with rounds strings

- Squier VM 77 jazz, fretless, with DiMarzio J and flat strings

I'm a keyboard player but I like to play bass from time to time.

I'm thinking about selling my 2 basses and buy a Mexican Fender jazz Special (PJ) that will take less space in my closet and be more versatile. What do you think about it?

Thank you.

2. nicopiano

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    I should add that I play every kind of music: jazz, rock, country, blues, latin...

3. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Jan 27, 2013
    Try the new bass out, if you like id say go for it!!! The fretless is an odd bass to have just for an occasional player anyways! Good luck

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    A PJ is about as versatile as you can get.

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  5. inate_hex

inate_hex

Apr 4, 2010
    Manchester, England
    I occasionally wet the bed.
    I would stick with what you already have. You will never get a ray tone out of a pj bass.

Musicman Bongo club #175

6. nicopiano

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    I like to play fretless at home but I rarely play it at a gig because it's hard to get real good intonation.

7. nicopiano

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    I like the ray tone for rock but not that much for others styles...

8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    As mentioned, try it out. I love Ray basses and not a Fender fanatic by any stretch of the imagination so I'm not biased one way or another. If you only need one bass, I would also pick a Fender PJ (good choice on that). My go-to bass is a Fender JP90, I know if I can only bring one bass with me to a gig, this one can cover the most bases (no pun intended). Also the JP90 is pretty light, so that's why I opted for this strange bass. A regular Fender PJ bass will suffice though. Quite a variety of sounds with having the Jazz and P bass pickups -a good Swiss Army bass to have.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  9. I'm just gonna throw this out here: If you're looking for versatility (and have a strong back!), find yourself an old Peavey T-40. Extremely versatile bass.

10. nicopiano

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    Is it heavy?

11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I still say the PJ is the swiss army knife of basses. A plain J or even P will take you anywhere as well.

12. nicopiano

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    Do you have the strange pickguard on your P90?

13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    yes...after a short while, I actually started liking it. lol. Hey, if the pickguard was partly responsible for these basses not selling then I'm all for it. A used JP90 goes for about $300. A used MIA Fender, light yet has the full JP sound for that price! Well worth it. :)

Attached Files:

14. James Halstead

James Halstead

Jun 4, 2014
    If all you are worried about it space in your closet, keep your basses. You'll be sorry that you got rid of them. If you just feel the need to consolidate because you don't REALLY need two, then keep the MM. It's a great bass. A Fender Jazz bass IS more versatile, but it may be more simple for you to unload just the fretless.

15. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    That's not a bad option, but the op mentioned he's a keyboardist that occasionally plays bass, so perhaps having just one bass and having the rest of the closet space for other musical instruments/keyboards might be more ideal for him. Between the MM and a fretless jazz, I would opt for the MM but if I only wanted one bass in my closet, I'd opt for a Fender PJ bass without hesitation.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, either a PJ or Jazz with frets. If I could only have one, it'd be a PJ.

17. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Throw something else out of your closet.

18. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    I think PJ's are more versatile in 'theory'....but I don't think in reality they are much more versatile than just a regular P. The P pup overwhelmes the J pup in my experience to the point that the J pup is practically useless. I'm sure people disagree but that has been my experience with PASSIVE PJ's. I'm guessing active PJ's are more versatile b

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    Pet Sounds likes this.
  19. nicopiano

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    I just tried the MIM Jazz Special. The 'J' pickup is a little thin compare to the P one. Neck is good, and I like the P body that is more confortable for me while standing. Lighter than my Ray, but I miss a the 'B' string.

But... compare to the Ray35 and the J with DiMarzio 'J', the sound is a little bit 'sterile'. In fact it's hard to tell because I would need to try the bass with my amp and with a band to really figure if I really like it.

I'll think about it, I may prefer to keep my 2 actual basses. Of course I would have prefer to have just one because space in the closet IS becoming and issue since my girlfriend is pregnant and there is a baby coming this summer. We won't move to a bigger appartement until next year.

Thank you for your help.

20. Sorry for the late reply. Yes, the T-40 is heavy.

fourstringgirl and SanDiegoHarry like this.