Should I change my EBS for Phil Jones bass preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lenko, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Lenko

May 3, 2003
    My EBS has become unreliable and I started to think about a good pre-amp + poweramp combination...
    What does P1 sound like?
  2. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    What happened to the EBS? Unreliable in what way?
    Please explain.
    My next aquisition is going to be EBS(again) so I would like to avoid any mishaps with their equipment.
  3. Lenko

May 3, 2003
    I finally got my HD350 with matching 4x10" (though I was waiting for 11
    months!!) and it's allready broken - and it's just been a month sinc I bought
    it. I don't have a clue what could be wrong, since there IS signal coming in,
    but it's allmost audible.
    You might say "No problem, just take it to the company that repairs
    them", but
    I havn't received my warranty, since the company I bought my EBS from said
    they didn't have it at the time I bought it and they would send it by mail
    next week. AND THEY DIDN'T!
    I made gazillion calls to the shop, company and even our Slovenian dealer
    (which is in my opinion the most unreliable an lying music equipment saller I
    ever made deal with) and I have had no reply or any other answers. I'm loosing
    my regular gigs since I can't borrow a back-up rig everytime wee need to
    practice or have a bigger consert. And loosing gigs means loosing money to me,
    which doesn't make me happy at all. It's a pitty that I'm not happy with my
    EBS since it's a great sounding amp (probably one of the best I've
    played/owned) and I love the cabinet very much, but since it's unreliability
    and dreadful customer service in Slovenia I will consider selling it or change
    it for a brand whose employes won't treat me like a fool.[/qute]
    I hope you'll understand it due to my awful grammar.

4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That really sucks!

I hate to use this as an occasion to say, "No warranty until next week? No money until next week!"

It sounds like a bad dealer with questionable gear. I wouldn't question EBS so much as the dealer...they're obviously passing bad merchandise. This is a clear case of dealer fraud, and depending on the law in Slovenia, you could see if the government might be able to prosecute the dealer or force the dealer to compensate you.

In these cases, you might not have much recourse, but you could try contacting EBS to see if they'll help you out.

As far as switching to Phil Jones from EBS, it's a big jump. Both sound great, but come from different worlds. Phil Jones is true hi-fi, totally accurate stuff. And, while EBS leans towards accurate and hi-fi, has a little different flavor. Don't get me wrong...I have a Fafner and love both EBS and the Phil Jones gear I've played, but they're both different animals.

If you've heard Phil Jones and like the gear, by all means, go for it.
  5. ah, forget the EBS and rock out on your Sunn 300T!
  6. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    May be it's a point purchasing your stuff next time, at an online shop? I know it won't help you out now, but it would be nice if things were going a little bit more easy for you in the future?

Enough online shops, they transport the gear to your adress, UPC mostly, totally insured. The difference in price due to these costs compensates the lower retail price, as often found in the US. I don't know if EBS gear is as easy that way. Perhaps you could order at

Good shop, good prices, good service too. And a little bit more near Slovenia then the US...:D

I wouldn't order anything at all at your dealer again, that's for sure.
  7. Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Had to sell it for 1200€ since i really needed money when we were rebuilding our practice place and turn it into a studio. I also sold a couple of cabs and a bass I just got, but it's done now and I'm again after new gear now.:cool:
  8. Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Thank you for the link the free advice. :)
  9. zoran

May 10, 2002
    If you consider some hi-fi equipment check glockenklang bass art preamp. I never had trouble with it and like the sound a lot, also I've heard that EBS has strong reputation of being reliable but s.. happens. If you like the EBS sound take their classic preamp and for poweramp I strongly recommend Yamaha P5000s, very powerful, lightweight and cheap (around 600€), it also has crossover for subs on each channel. As I wrote this, my g.a.s. is spreading. Stop!:)
  10. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    You're welcome man, it's a pity enough you've got an dealer, that's a pain in the ass. Screw him! (not literally... ;) )
  11. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    If you have the original sales receipt that should be all you need for the warranty. I suggest getting your EBS fixed.