Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I change my rack preamp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tommy Gunz, Jun 25, 2003.

1. from a good old Yamaha PB-1 to a Presonus TubePre + Raven-Labs True Blue EQ? If I make the change, I'll be missing an effect loop, crossover, and a groudlift for the XLR output. But the upside is that I'll have tube warmth, overdrive, good tonal flexibility, and greater transportability, since I'll only need to get a 2 space rack for my power amp. What do you think?

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Why not get a tube preamp with all the features you want? There are plenty of Demeters, Aguilars, Kerns, etc. for sale on these forums. You won't be sorry.

JD

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Are you unhappy with this pre-amp? I recently thought of switching from my good old SVP-PRO to a Sans-Amp RBI. I bought the RBI & I liked the SVP-PRO better.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I can't really comment on the PreSonus, but the True Blue is not really a normal EQ. It's designed for fine tuning your sound, and it's great at that. But I wouldn't want to use it as my only EQ.

As jdombrow said, there are plenty of other good tube preamps out there that will cost you similar money. A true blue will cost you at least $200, and the presonus about $100.

In the $300-$350 range you can get Alembic F-1X's, Ampeg SVP-PRO's, Trace Elliot V-Types and others. All great tube preamps with EQ + DI (not sure about DI on the SVP-PRO).

I have a Trace Elliot V-Type for sale in the FS section.

5. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I have a PB-1 with no complaints. Keep it and save your money.

6. Thanks for the inputs.
    I like the PB-1 too, but after about a year of using it, I find that I always want more refine tonal adjustment than what it can offer. The 3 band bass,middle treble eq is ok but they only make a difference either way up or way down, and not very sensitive in between. The single band parametric eq is where I do most of the sound shaping but I could use more than just one band espically if I want to cut and boost 2 different range of frequency. Then another issue is tube warmth, which's something that PB-1 can not reproduce.
    May be I should just look at the regular tube preamps like dave and jdombrow suggested.

7. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    TG,

Why not look into a parametric EQ to add on?

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yeah, if you like your pre now, and it has a lot of features, I think you should be looking at things to put in your fx loop. There are lots of eqs and lots of tube processors that could do what you want w/out making you lose your xover, ground lift, etc.

9. Ahhhson

Ahhhson Guest

Jun 5, 2003
    ALBANY NY 518

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY