1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I change my Wilkinson MM pup for an SD SMB-4D?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by compulsiveslap, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Definitely worth it

2. Nah

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. compulsiveslap

compulsiveslap

Nov 4, 2018
    Greetings.

Recently I had a custom bass made (body and neck) and then I assembled and did the electronics. The bass is wired passive volume volume tone with 500k pots and 2 mini switches for series/parallel for the MM pickup and a phase/out-of-phase for the P pickup

I've been playing it for a month, and been pretty happy with it, except for one thing, the bridge pickup.

I went with Wilkinsons as they seemed as a good value. In my country the value of the currency has plumetted, so imported stuff is really expensive now, like brand name pickups, that's why I originally did not go for more expensive pickups.

I'm happy with the P pickup, it's got alnico magnets and a good vintage tone. The bridge is ceramic. The first "problem" is it's very high output, much more than the p pickup (even in parallel), but what really bothers me is I can not get a bright enough sound for my taste. I want a punchy mid rangy sound with bright highs. If you put it in series, the output goes through the roof, and even less highs. I suppose it's overwound, that's why it's so loud and doesn't have as much high end to it. It doesn't sound that bad, actually has a nice midrange and low mid growl, just not bright enough. But currently I have to EQ a lot of highs in recordings or use the ultra high on my amp to get a somewhat decent sound, otherwise it just sounds muffled to me.

What I wanted to ask you guys is if you would seem worth it to exchange it for a Seymour Duncan SMB-4D. The SMB-4A and 4D are basically my only options within budget/availability, and I don't really like how the smb-4a sounds in this video: pretty hollow in the mids. I want a mid rangey modern sound but with more highs than what I have

Do you think I would get a noticeable increase in high end response that would make it worth while? Or do you think the issue lays somewhere else, like not having an active preamp.

Here's a short demo I recorded using only the bridge pickup

Fingerstyle in parallel
    Fingerstyle in series
    Slap in parallel
    Slap in series

Strings are 3 month old D'addario EXL220

wilkinson mm - Clyp

No EQ/AMP simulation, just a bit of compression and I matched the level of all the samples.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    peter-j likes this.