Should I change pots too?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Beefbass, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey everybody, I've decided that for Christmas, I'm going to put a set of Basslines Antiquity II's into my 2000 MIM Jazz. I like a vintage type of tone, and I string with TI jazz flats.

I was thinking of maybe changing the pots along with them. Is that necessary for best tone? If so, what are the best ones to use? Should I change the capacitor too? ( I'm definitely gonna get a better jack put in.)

Would appreciate any input you guys have on this.
    Thanks a lot in advance! :)
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    it depends. I always use alphas or cts's. If you want a fatter warm tone. orange drop caps are nice. if you want it snappy n brighter, then use mylar film caps. If you want fat high-mids, go with ceramic.
  3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Thanks for the info!
    Where do you get your pots? Any site you can send me to?

Yes, the fatter, warmer tone is what I seek. More like JPJ/Joe Osborn, than Geddy Lee, or Marcus Miller.

Again, appreciate the info.
    Peace brother.
  4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I just got some info on pickups by Carey Nordstrand. Called the NJ4-sounds like a killer pickup! From the description that I got, they sound like they will be the ones that will give me the sound I desire.
    I probably will change the stock MIM pots for better ones. Why connect good pickups to low quality pots? I say this, because I notice that from time to time, the neck pickup will fade out a bit-until I turn the vloume knob around a few times real fast. Never experinced that on a bass before.
    Thanks to all who hepled me out with this.
    Peace to all :)