Should I change this?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GrooveMonkey, Jan 4, 2004.

1. I just won an auction for a Warwick Streamer Pro-M 5 that's had it's origional MEC dual J pickup replaced by an EMG humbucker. One of the MEC preamps remains intact and works well with the EMG so I'm told.

Just wondering what to do. Replace the MEC + 1 MEC pre? I'll have to play it to hear how the EMG sounds. I just think the EMG, with it's single preamp, may be limiting my tone options.

What would you do.

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :confused: what? which? huh?

The original configuration was dual J (2 Js stacked together), and each had individual tone control - hence the need ofr the two preamps

Now, the dualJ has been replaced with a single humbucker, so (as i assume) the other preamp being unnecessary, one has been taken out.

But now, what are you talking about Mec+1 Mec? or Emg with single preamp? that doesnt make any sense!

Anyway, enjoy, that is a nice bass. BTW, did you consider making it a Streamer Jazzman-style bass (with a MM-style p-up)? that would be a nice option, as well
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Sorry, i meant to say FNA... but a Jazzman sould bbe nice, too
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    If you replace the preamp, I'm going to toss my vote in for the Aguilar OBP-3. If you do a search in this forum, you'll find a LOT of people switching out the MEC preamps in Warwicks for the Aguilar. Of course, "keeping it in the family" with the EMG preamp might be best -- but I don't know how well EMG and Aguilar mix with other children.
  5. What I meant was 1 MEC pickup + 1 MEC preamp to replace the missing pre. This would put it back to stock.

I'll have to look at the EMG pre that meekster recommended, that might do nicely.
  6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    If this bass is anything like my Fortress Masterman, then mutantbassist is right. Since there is only one pickup on it now, there is only one preamp needed.

I would take advantage of having three stacked pots, and get a preamp that will take advantage of it. A three band EQ would be great, but since you have 6 pots available, you have even more options available. I would go with what meekster recommends (EMG BQC), since it has a sweepable mid and is easier to install. Even though some EMG preamps will work with EMG pickups, these preamps are designed to work with EMG pickups.