Should I check out the police?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, Feb 4, 2006.

1. I've heard bassists and critics alike rave about this band. I have heard very little by them . I like the song Don't stand so close to me and Roxanne , I dislike Every Breath you Take. I dislike every Sting solo song. However I have two Copeland solo albums and his oysterhead stuff and I love em. If they have it, I'd rather hear darker, more experimental songs by the Police. Also if the guitar dude's solo stuff is good please suggest. Thanks .
  2. The police has some great tunes. The ones you mentioned was there more popular stuff, but they had a lot of great tunes that made it to the radio.

They sound nothing like Stings solo stuff especially if you get their early records. They were more like punk meets reggae, meets pop.
  3. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Yes you should, but I'm scared to recomend a CD because just about everyone has some songs I love and some I don't. They tend to mix it up.
    Invisible Sun may be their darkest song, I believe it's on Ghost in the Machine. You may just want to check out a best of CD. I saw them in 82 or 83, I forget, but they were incredible live.
  4. Jingle_W_Clark

Jingle_W_Clark Banned

Feb 4, 2006
    I hate to say this... but just grab their Best Of package... I forget the name, but I have a burnt copy of it.

The Police kick ass to be honest... especially the very early stuff .... but even that later stuff like "Murder By Numbers" and "Tea In The Sahara" was cool...

However, I agree... Sting solo sucks. He went from playing in a kick a** rocking trio to playing slow acoutic ballads with oboes and clarinets.... BOOOOO!!!!
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Don't take this advice at all, I mean this dude Boos oboes and clarinets...

Seriously, the first 2 or 3 albums are MINDBLOWING, the fact that a trio knows exactly what space to fill. Stewart Copeland is one of my favorite drummers. Syncronicity is when Sting started moving to the softer side of Sears (Every breath you take)... but the early stuff... wow.

But seriously, a best of doesn't do them justice league.
  6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I love the police, great band.

Learn king of pain

you will learn a lot about bass playing just with that song!
  7. +1

You can't go wrong with their early stuff, they're all great. I have Reggatta de Blanc and Outlandos d'Amour

Each one of those two has a couple of the hit's that made it to the radio plus some other great tunes you will never hear if you get a "best of" cd.
  8. Jingle_W_Clark

Jingle_W_Clark Banned

Feb 4, 2006
    Matt Till---

I think a Best Of is a good idea if someone is JUST getting into the band..... it gives the listener a sample of ALL of their work throughout their career... then you move on to the other albums based on the songs you liked on the best of!

9. Regatta de Blanc, Ghost in the Machine, and Zenyatta Mondatta are MUST haves for any aspiring bassist.
  10. ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I think the answer to any, "Should I check out band/person X," question whould always be, Yes!

Even though there are several styles of music that I may not like. I will listen to them and see what musical ideas I can get from them.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'll Oboe you!!
    *shakes fist after stupid empty threat*

Actually, I find Best Ofs to be an all around bad time for a couple reasons. For one, it seperate's the artist's mindset during the album from the music you are listening to. ALSO, after buying a best of, when I look at the back of one of their other albums I say, "Huh, I already own two or three of these songs... why buy an album that only has four new songs to me?" So it discourages from buying more from the artists.

IMO, the best way to get into a band, ask fans of the band which is the best ALBUM, as our good friend Diamond Dallas Page has in this thread.

That said, I'm backing up Joshua's Ghost in the Machine suggestion.
  12. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Good point. In that case buy them all! One or two at a time.:)
    When I saw them it was at th US festival. When they palyed Invisible Sun, the whole crowd was singing w/ them and swaying, put a chill down my spine. We're talking at least 250,000 people. Awesome, and again I think that's on Ghost in the Machine. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  13. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Yes, by all means. Personally, I prefer their stuff to Stings solo recordings by a long shot. Stewart Copeland is one of my favourite drummers and Sting's bass lines and Andy's guitar playing simply ooze personality.
  14. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    Buy the greatest hits album. I think it really covers everything from them. It's a great CD.
  15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Sounds like you wouldn't like Police Music. Andy Summers' solo music is extraordinary. If you like guitar based modern jazz pick some of it up. He's my favorite jazz guitarrist.
  16. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I am a police nut! My fav song has always been ms. gredenko (spelling?) But yeah i listen to them for copeland as well. And the stuff he does in that tune makes my nipples hard! The guitar solo in it is almost sick! I would have to say if i had one drummer of my dreams to jam with it would be him.

17. I'll check out Summers, I really dig Copeland so I might dig him too. Im gonna pick up a police album anyway, give em a chance.If anything I can listen to it for the drums.
  18. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey Phil can you tell me a good solo album to try of summers?
  19. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Andy Summers' Worlds Apart is a nice album...not real 'heavy', though. Victor Bailey, Tony Levin, Eliane Elias are some of the backing musicians.

Summers' The Last Dance Of Mr. X is more of a Rock trio doing Jazz Classics....worth checking out, IMO. is Green Chimneys, Summers' homage to Monk.