1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I continue modding my Squier VM Jazz V?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joshbazz, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Heck YES!

100.0%
  2. Heck No!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Joshbazz

Joshbazz Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Totally undecided, looking for help convincing, or opinions that resonate.

I have a Squier VM Jazz V, which I love to play, but not as much as my 2000 EB MM Stingray5. I've made some minor mods, and it sounds good, but I'd like to get it sounding great, as well as see if I can improve the B a bit more (the Stingray is PERFECT).

Why bother? I love the jazz bass tone, and would like an alternate bass for some songs... I like to cop some vintage tones and feel, which I sort of do on the Ray, but with it's limitations tonally.

Modifications I've made:
    1. Wider string tree - put more tension on B, and all strings for that matter (I lower it more on the B) - you can see holes from the old tree.
    2. Bridge with channels- though I think it's a hair narrower in string spacing
    3. Audere Pro JZ3 preamp - original electronics were budget (obvi).. I like it, but don't LOVE it! I only use the default setting, the other modes are too much, and I just add a little bass, and even less treb.
    Modifications I'm considering to do next:
    1. Hipshot brass bridge 19mm (like on the Mike Lulls)
    2. Hipshot Ultralite tuners
    3. Decent preamp - I have a bartolini NTBTG preamp lying around, or maybe I should consider aguilar? I like recording I have heard of them, never played in person though.
    I like the pickups in this bass, I think they are the original fenders, I also have a 4 string sunburst VM that has the Duncan designed, and I don't mind those as well. I would want a complimentary preamp, so when I change basses between the Ray, it's even in volume. I also LOVE the LOOK of this bass!

Thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated!

Also adding poll, yes or no, to continue modding!

squier-vm-jazz-v.JPG

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Deak likes this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Try everything, keep the stuff you like. You don't really know until you try.

Joshbazz likes this.
  3. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    '73 Ric 4001-2.JPG Yes; absolutely. And, don't stop until it looks like this....:whistle:

Joshbazz and Stumbo like this.
  4. Deak

Deak Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Kansas
    Looks Great! I'd buy it, especially if it gets the Aguilar mod. I am really growing to like their products/sound. Unfortunately I have about all of the gear I need and am happy with it was well.

That bass is a looker!

Joshbazz and Stumbo like this.
  5. Looks great!
    If the B string is too limp, try a thicker one.
    .130 or .135 might just do all you need.

Joshbazz likes this.
  6. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Gotta keep going if you’re not happy with it yet. ;) I also have the JZ3 preamp but paired with a set of SD Apollo pickups and I really like it. Also have a Babicz bridge and Hipshot string trees. I have a set of ultra lite tuners but haven’t installed them yet.

In summary: keep going.

DBB2B144-44D1-414A-90F4-F998F0BC78B0.

Zoobiedood and Joshbazz like this.
  7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Take a look at Bill Lawrence "Wilde" pickups.

Joshbazz likes this.
  8. Joshbazz

Mar 3, 2016
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Wow, thanks for the responses, love the motivation. I was considering keeping it passive as well, but I think that may be too much of a volume/tone change switching between the Stingray, and I think the onboard pre helps the B string a bit :)

You got a solid point there!

Lol, I can't say that I ever played a Rick that I loved...

Yes, every aguilar pickup or preamp demo makes me want to splurge...

Yup, using .130's, minimum for this bass! I just wish it was a little more articulate. I'm sure I'm the only one who notices though.

Those string trees looks great, how do you like the Babicz, do you have the brass or aluminum, and which string spacing?

9. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    Hack it up and give it hell! That's half the fun anyways.

Joshbazz likes this.
  10. Joshbazz

Mar 3, 2016
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Took a look, and I am intrigued... Thanks for the referral, that will be the last step if I get there...