Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I convert My Roscoe to Fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Psycho Funk, Nov 29, 2003.

1. I have a question for the experts.
    I currently have a great Fretted Roscoe SKB 5 with ebony FB. It is a great bass but I find myself playing a Sadowsky 5, that I picked up used, mostly. (I know it's a tough situation owning both)
    The Roscoe has great Mwahh fretted but I was considering having the Roscoe shop pull the frets and converting it to a fretless.

Am I nuts?

2. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes, you are crazy. You give me the roscoe and i'll give you a pentabuzz. Everybody will be happy and the roscoe won't get hurt.

3. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    It's going to hurt the resale bigtime, but if you really want it done, I'd say go for it... especially if you're getting it professionally done.

4. I wouldn't do it. Here are my reasons why:

1) Anything can happen to it, even if a professional does it.

2) If you don't like it - You just defretted a WONDERFUL bass for no reason.

3) Yes - resale value would be hurt if you ever intend to sell it for whatever reason.

5. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    sell it and buy the same bass in a fretless

6. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I have a Rob Allen MB-2 5 string lined fretless w/OHSC and Gig Bag let's talk. Got any Roscoe Pics?

[​IMG]

7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i would not mess with perfection!

8. OK, I needed that reality check.
    The bass will remain unharmed. A momentary bout of psychosis is over.
    Hey GG, that Rob Allen looks nice. Why are you getting rid of it?

9. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Just buy a new neck!

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Isnt it neck thru?

11. Physco - glad you talked yourself out of that one.

One other option might be to find someone who want to trade necks with you - A long shot for sure, but just my idea.

I keep hearing that the buzz is the best mwah on the planet, I'd think abou that one.

IIRC, GG wanted 1500 for his bass but it's been on the block for a while. You might be able to talk him down. I think he'd be getting the better end of the deal if you traded him straight up, but that's just my opinion. BTW, the Rob Allen won't give you a huge variety of tones, but it does the acoustic thing extremely well.

12. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    De-fret the thing!!! It's yours!!! Make it like you want it. Did you buy the thing to play it?

13. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I'm not really a fretless player although I really like the bass. I need another fretted 5. Are you interested?

14. Sorry GG, Rob Allens are great for what they do but I'm more interested in an Electric fretless tone.
    I'm going to email Keith Roscoe again and see about getting another fretless neck. (they are bolt-on Figjam) I think that might be another option.
    Also, I emailed Roscoe Friday evening and Keith Roscoe responded immediately. My experience with them has been excellent and I'm just a regular customer. There is something to be said about companies who understand customer service.

15. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Thanks for your help but I'd appreciate you not voicing your opinions on my bass (either positive or negative)in a public forum unless solicited. You're more than welcome to PM a TBer with your opinion.

1.) Your not familar with my bass
    2.) The reason it's been on the "block for awhile" is it was only to see what was available for trade only.
    3.) Only recently did I decided to sell it outright.

The bass is in excellent condition and reading your post would imply otherwise or at the very least imply that I wasn't offering something of similar value. Check the blue book values on each then look what they've been selling for. Plus I have the optional Hard Case(expensive) included as well as the RA gig bag.

16. i disagree with everyone here. my feeling is that Roscoe's are still very much in production, and you're not being a bad steward by yanking the frets. i mean, its not as if the roscoe is a 64 jazz or something. what better fingerboard could there be besides ebony? diamondwood? same difference for the most part sonically. if you're planning on keeping the bass, then go for it. if you're even remotely thinking that you might sell down the road, then i would probably leave it be.

17. :confused:

did you not ask him about trading the bass on a public forum? he was simply saying he's not interested, no harm done. i personally didn't hear any 'opinions' being voiced.

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It may not be as rare as a '64 Jazz, but the value is about the same. I'm sure you could find someone to trade a similar Roscoe fretless for your bass, as people tend to sell their fretlesses quite often if it doesn't work out for them to aquire fretteds.

19. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Not only that but its only a bass. There's no need for him to get so defensive about it. And saying "Its been on the block for a while" or whatever doesn't imply anything. It doesn't state that the quality is less than what it should be or there's something wrong with it.

20. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Actually, basstrader has nothing to do with the deal. GG wasn't telling PsychoFunk to mind his own business. I agree that stating that "You can talk him down further" is something best left in a PM--especially when you don't know all the facts. And, at the very least, it's rude.

As for defretting the Roscoe, you aren't going to hurt resale in the slightest if Roscoe defrets it. What's the difference if Roscoe is the one doing the work? It's no different whatsoever than Roscoe making it a fretless with lines in the first place.

Besides--what does resale have to do with a bass that he already loves? If I were in your shoes and really wanted a fretless, I'd go ahead and do it. Ebony makes a great fretless fingerboard, and you obviously like the way the bass sounds. There will be some differences if it is fretless, but you certainly won't be hurting the bass in the slightest.