1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should i cut into and modify a brand new g&l tribute sb-2? What tool should i use?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bpclay1, Aug 17, 2017.

1. bpclay1

bpclay1

Jul 3, 2014
    20170817_204555.
    The brand new g&l on the left, and my historically favorite bass, the custom double p, a Mexican fender. It's two pickups are wired in permanent series. Sounds awesome with tone max and minimum. The g&l, with the magnetic field pickups can get the about same sound with the p pup maxed. My thinking is MORE MORE MORE. I WANT MORE CHAINSAW FACE TEARING TINNITUS CAUSING DIARRHEA INDUCING ABUSIVE PARTNER EAR LOVE. solution: double p/j mfd, with the two p pups in permanent series.

Sorry for ranting, here's the question. Is it morally wrong to cut into the g&l? This is just a tribute.... and I've only got $350 in it. I don't mind losing money if i ever get rid of it. Can anyone talk me out of it? Talk me into it?

As Ann after thought, what's the neatest way to do it? I usually do a sloppy job with an oscillating tool. Should i use a router? Make a jig? A drill press with a router bit?

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Is that what Ann thought?

I think wiring the P & J in your SB-2 in series would give you enough ooomph. Those MFD pickups are very high output.

It can be wired in series & still have a volume for each pickup.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  3. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    Step away from the G&L

bpclay1 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  4. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    When you wire the mfd's in series, you won't have an option that is humbucking. There will also be a lot of inductance - less high end. You may not like the result. It will be loud.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. bpclay1

bpclay1

Jul 3, 2014
    I thought about just wiring the two stock pickups in series, but i don't want to loose the high end... the fender does that well enough. Keeping the single coil as is, but adding another p pup in series with the original p pup would allow me to add high end with the single coil pup I'm thinking. Also, I've never had hum issues with a double series p... it's four coils in series, why wouldn't it cancel hum?

6. bpclay1

bpclay1

Jul 3, 2014
    I like loud... like a chainsaw... not the sound of a chainsaw, but like... the feeling of it cutting through your brain