Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I defret my bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basstard1, Mar 12, 2005.

1. basstard1

basstard1

Mar 12, 2005
    :help:

2. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Are you a Luthier?

~trav

3. What bass is it and are you patient?

4. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    I have defretted 2 basses and owned basses originaly fretless and their is to me a pretty good diffrence in the two. Id save my money and buy a cheap fretless.

5. Yea it would be better to have a luthier do it, but I am by no means one and I defretted my Ibanez and its good.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    More importantly, is it your only bass?

Don't defret your only bass. Jaco did this, but we're pretty sure he's nuts. Be patient, research what you're doing ahead of time, and DON'T RUSH!

7. basstard1

basstard1

Mar 12, 2005
    no im not a
    luthier..

8. basstard1

basstard1

Mar 12, 2005
    ive been playing 2 years... its a peavey, my only bass and im not a luthier... looks bad dony it? i do however love that fretless sound, have a stepdad to help me and im not that bad at playing one..

9. basstard1

basstard1

Mar 12, 2005
    its apeavey active millennium*

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Have you thought about buying a fretless? Rondomusic.com has fretless basses for around $120. Good instruments cheap, and you won't ruin your only isntrument.

11. basstard1

basstard1

Mar 12, 2005
    well my bass is in the repair shop right now and im 13 so im not exactly in the money... i could probably take it to a luthier and get it done, but is it worth not having a fretted?

12. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You might consider a neck swap? taking the neck out and replacing it is much less involved than the removeing, filling, finishing, involved in a defret.

~trav

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Are you a thespian?

14. basstard1

basstard1

Mar 12, 2005
    welll the thing is im a 50% slap player... is it worth getting a fretless (Byselling my curremt bass) for that fretless sound?

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You DO realize how much a luthier would charge... probably about what your bass is worth. It would likely be far cheaper to buy a second bass.

And no, it's not worth it to not have a fretted bass IMO. My main bass is a fretless Jazz, but I just have to have that P-Bass tone, and nothing can replace the sound of a fretted bass. Two completely different monsters, that's all I have to say.

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My girlfriend is a thespian. Does that make me wierd?

17. basstard1

basstard1

Mar 12, 2005
    does that online shop deliver to england?

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Whoa, one post at a time bud. By the time I answer one of your posts, I'm answering another.

It's usually not recommended that you slap a fretless. Eats away at the fingerboard. You'll likely regret selling your fretted.

19. basstard1

basstard1

Mar 12, 2005
    m pretty green, so how much would a guitar shop charge?