1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I detune my bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by gottliver, Jul 22, 2012.

1. gottliver

gottliver

Dec 20, 2004
    when I go away for a few weeks?

It is a Strunal 50/4 with spirocore med.

It is in an AC'd environment kept at 75-77F.

I'm thinking it would be better for the neck to slack the strings a few turns of the tuning machines? Maybe 1 or 2 complete turns?

Thx
    Mark

2. Edvin

Edvin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sweden
    i wouldn't! Can't really argue about it, but i think some peoples opinion will come.

3. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    I wouldn't bother either- but lowering the pitch a bit won't hurt anything...

Just make sure that you don't slack the strings enough for the soundpost to fall.

MHO, YMMV and all that! :)

Joe

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Doesn't sound like a good idea. You know how to set a sound post?

5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    In a word, no. Leave it at tension. The neck is used to being at that tension. One or two weeks over its lifetime is insignificant. On the other hand, de-tuning and re-tuning are actions that can cause real issues.

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    +1

7. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    +1 to just leaving it at tension.

YMMV = Yosemite Makes Me Vomit :D

Okay, okay.. Your Milage May Vary

8. gottliver

gottliver

Dec 20, 2004
    Thx all. Will leave it as is.

9. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Ha, ha. . .thanks. I couldn't find the abbreviation list. I'll delete these after a while to get them out of the way :)

10. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    What if I meant "Yosemite Makes Me Vomit"?

I find his cruel treatment and seemingly continuous attempts at murderous violence on the person of Bugs to be completely reprehensible...

One might even say...DESPICABLE!!! :D

Exit, stage left...

11. Does this mean that sound post will not stay in place without tension on the strings?

12. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Yes. If you completely slack down the strings and the sound post does not fall out of place, that means that it is too tight. You can usually take quite a bit of tension off without causing a problem, but you really should be careful- if you've never set a sound post before it can be a little tricky...

Joe

13. If your bass is used to the environment that it will be in for the duration of your leave, it will be fine. I just moved across the country from the desert to some humid woody area. Thankfully, I downtuned about a whole step for the trip to compensate for the coming expansion. After the first day of driving, I pulled my bass out to check and it was just a hair flat from standard tuning. I did it again for the next leg of the trip but this time the expansion wasn't nearly as drastic, but still significant.

14. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I don't think that's necessarily true, although with a proper fit it's highly likely that it will fall.

15. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    You're right. After I wrote that I thought I should go back and say that it won't "just fall down"- but that even a slight jolt to the bass will dislodge it.

Joe