Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I do a wiring mod to my '75 jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nick man, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Alright folks, here is the one million dollar question......

Should I do the series/parallel mod in my 1975 Ibanez Black Eagle Jazz bass?

Do you guys think that if I unsolder the leads, pull out the old control plate and pots and drop in a new control plate and electronics that I might kill the resale value? Ive seen them going for $600-700 and I somehow found out about this one in a Guitar Center in Chicago (Im from Miami) that was going for $400. I might also drop in an Aguilar OPB-1 if it fits.

Im not asking if it would sound good or give it more options, I know it will. Ive heard the new Fender Jazz basses and I love the series sound.

So, what do you guys think?

Do I cut my child to shreds?
    [​IMG]

Oh, and on a side note. I have another jazz bass (Valenti) with the Aguilar OPB-1 and some active EMG vintage jazz pickups. Do you think that if I wire the Black Eagle (which has stock passive pickups) in series and drop in the Aguilar that the volume level will be the same as the Valenti?

Peace
    Nick

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    More pics of the bass can be seen in Nirvana's "Bleach" and "Muddy Banks of the Wishkah" CD liners. I also have a few in the galery, you cant really tell the way that the body hooks in that pic.

Awww what the heck, here's another. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ::back on topic::

Well we both know from a recent thread you were involved in that there is a new smaller OPB-1 so I was wondering if you've heard anything baout that one fitting. Im guessing you must have heard it wont.

The reason I want to change the hardware is because I want to:

A) Leave as much of the origional wiring harness intact and safe.
    B) Drill and install a mini switch instead of a push pull.

The reason I want the mini switch is so I can put it out of the way of my hand since I often hit the control knobs while playing agressively and strumming as I do on a lot of GlassJaw cover songs my band plays.

I also like the idea of having the switch seperate...... I could probably for my current purposes just hardwire it, and leave one volume, but Im scared that I might want the standard jazz bass tone later.

Well, as far as the last point goes, the pickups in there are pretty damn hot for standard single coil jazz pickups. How do you think they'll compare to EMGs. I figure you are the guy to ask since you did that shootout.

Peace
    Nick