should i do it myself?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by heavyfunkmachin, Feb 17, 2005.

1. heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    i am going to chang my bass pickups and bridge, and i was thinking about getting it to a luthier, but since it means more money i thought i could do it myself...

change the pickups doesnt worry me too much, just screw them in and solder them to the pots the same way the old ones went... i guess

but the bridge its a diferent story... i might have to make new holes and im concerned about screwing the whole intonation/scale of the bass... could someone give me a tip?
    should i go ahead and do it? is there anything i must be concern about?
  2. Are you mechanically inclined?

If it's like exchanging a stock Fender to a Badass I wouldn't worry. If it is drilling new holes into the body and actually having a position worked out- I'd let someone who knew what they were doing handle that. In either case, you'll need files to cut slots on your saddles with a Badass.
  3. If the baseplates of the bridges are close to the same size AND the saddles have roughly the same amount of travel then you can center the new one over the footprint of the old one. You should fill the old holes and trim them flush in case the new screwholes fall in a similar place.

A fairly easy way to do a swap of bridges that don't match in size or style is to lay a strip of masking tape along both sides of the bridge, in line with the strings. Mark the location of the E string saddle on it's corresponding tape strip and the G string saddle on it's own side. You can now remove the old bridge. Now extend the E saddle to about 3/4 of it's maximum travel and set the bridge on the body with the saddle matched up the the mark on the tape. Then adjust your G string saddle to match it's mark. When both saddles are perfectly aligned, mark the location of the bridge holes, drill and attach. If you do this with some care, you'll be able to put the new bridge on square with the centerline of the bass and in a good spot for plenty of adjustment room. And you don't even have to fill the old holes if the the new bridge covers them.

Hope this helps