Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I do it ?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Gia, May 23, 2003.

1. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    One of my friends is a model and she's in a lot of teen magazines here in England. She is also a very good singer. I put together a band with her for our school talent show, and we won. She told her agent about it and he got very excited and pestered her for a while to 'show him her band'.
    Nothing happened, until a few days ago when my friend told me that her agent wants us (just me and her) to film ourselves playing something, and she'll show the tape to him and he'll 'do something' with us.

I know the chances of anything actually happening are very small, but i'm still uncomfortable about going ahead with it because i know that his aims are very different from what i want to do. I think he will want me and my friend completly packaged and marketed to the teen audience who like avril lavigne, whereas i want to be in a _band_ and sell records based on musical integrity. The latter will most likely never happen, so going to my friend's agent might be my only chance of musical success, even though the chances of that happening are very slim as well.

So, should i swap self respect for the front cover of smash hits ?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Give it a shot, just exercise the usual caution.

Be prepared that all efforts are/might be concentrated on your model friend, and you might be expendable to them along the way.

Just keep your options open, etc.

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Anything that comes out of it will be good in terms of contacts, experience, fun while it lasts etc. And it may be the start of something longer lasting.

Just don't sign any papers before understanding them thoroughly.

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yup, go ahead if you can. Just be careful with any contracts, if possible have a lawyer check them out.

Besides, even if you land in a hyped teenie band, it can last only for what, few years? After that, you have rest of your life to make credible music.

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    What SMASH said. This gig will not, in all likelihood, be musically satisfying, but you will probably meet some people who can help you find one that is.

That doesn't mean you should stick with it if it's really irritating you. Still, don't turn it down before you've given it a shot.

I'll probably be doing the same thing this summer ;)

6. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    Being a teenage girl in a pop band ? :p

7. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Ha ha, you funny... :D No, I meant playing in a situation which I know in advance won't be musically satisfying, but doing it for the connections...

8. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    Ohh :bawl: and here i was getting all hopeful.

Well, we're filming tomorrow, and she's showing it to her agent on Wednesday :) I can't decide whether i hope he likes it, or hates it.

Tsal - you're right about it only lasting at most a few years, but it's 'legacy' will stick a lot longer....that's what i'm mostly afraid of if i go anywhere with it.

9. I'd say go for it.

Alanis Morrissette was originally Canada's answer to Debbie Gibson, and she's managed to get away with the "credible artist" thing.

everyone's forgotten about Hepburn and the Thunderbugs, 21st Century girls- I'm sure any of the band members could join other bands without people noticing.

10. as was the case with the Thunderbugs and Hepburn- both bands broke up with the lead singers given solo deals. also session musicians recorded everything except vocals on their albums.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Do it, then when you are established, take the money and produce your own commercially non-viable self-indulgences. (BTW, commercially non-viable means people don't like it enough to pay money for it.)

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

13. If you eventually want a carrer in music DO IT! and soak up every drop of what unfolds. Being a pop star beats the hell out of any day job I can think of.
    Peace

14. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Words of wisdom from Munji and he is right. I say earn all you can playing "unsatisfying" pop music, then spend your "ill-gotten gains" playing music that meets your concept of integrity.

Don't be surprised, however, if you never have to deal with this scenario ever actually happening. In the large scheme of things there are very few bass/singer duets that have ever made it really big.

Still, that said, I personally hope you do because I would love to see someone from TalkBass hit the big time. I root heavily for anyone here who has a shot at musical success and I wish you and your model friend luck. Will you send me an autographed copy of your first CD?

15. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Those are my thoughts exactly.

Most people probably hate their jobs, but need to money to make a living. At least this way (if all goes through and succeeds) you'll make money, you'll get to play music, and you meet people so you can do your own thing eventually.

At the very least you could earn some GAS money and buy some nice new bass gear :D

16. My guess is that they'd set her up with a drummer and a guitarist (neither of whom could play a lick, I'm sure).

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    But you can bet they will have excellent tushies.

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    -repeat as necessary-

take advantage of anything in front of you. if this does become something worthwhile you can milk it to build your own credibility and credentials, and then bail if it gets unbearable.

19. Can't be sure about that. I am ignorant of Aussie preferences about posteriors.

20. Join the Musicians Union NOW, if only for the free independant legal advice.

NEVER sign a piece of paper in this business without having a lawyer read over it carefully first.