Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I do the following trade? 1978 fretless precision for swr 350 bass amp head.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malabito, Feb 13, 2004.

1. I am kind of confused here, so any advice will be very apreciated, :confused: . Should I trade my SWR 350 bass amp head for a 1978, all original, fretless fender precision without a case. The guy who is selling the bass told me, we could arrange a trade for my bass amp head, plus a sabine tuner I got, for the bass. The bass is suppose to be in a really good condition considering its age. The bad thing is that if I agree on doing the trade I would not have the opportunity to get another bass amp head in a long time. I am trying to convince the guy to do just the trade for the amp, not including the tuner, but he is not sure yet about that. So would this be a good opportunity to obtain a really nice classic and playing instrument? Would it be worth not having a bass amp for a long time and having that bass. From what I saw on the photos the bass seems to be in a really nice condition, it has an unlined maple neck, and the color of the bass is brown.

Thanks,... :help:

2. boobeebub

boobeebub Guest

Feb 3, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    have you played the P bass ? It sounds like a good trade. A 78 P bass will only appreciate in value, unlike an SWR amp top. But I'm no fan of SWR. Regardless, be sure what you're getting.

3. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    As to whether or not its a "good deal" is one thing . . .

The first question you have to ask yourself is, "can I go for a long time without a bass amp?" If the answer is no, then you're simply not in a position to take the deal, no matter how great it might be. End of story.

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Hell no. Keep the P.

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    My best guess is that the p-bass is worth about twice as much as the head and tuner (monetarily), but you really have to decide if you can go that long without a head.

6. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City

He has the Bass 350 head, not the P.

7. Before doing any trade I will be trying the bass first, the only bad thing, is that I will have to make a 4 hour trip to meet with the guy who is selling it, and will have to make a decision at that exact moment, unless I wouldnt mind driving back home another 4 hours and back to the bass again another 4 hours if I decide to get the bass, which I do, since I suffer from back problems. Now considering the bass amp part, for the time being I am not plaing that much live, and since I still have my bass cab I can borrow a bass amp head from my drummers band who owns a rehearsal studio, but you know borrowing equipment is always not a good idea since something might happen to it. I already talk with him and he told he will gladly lend me his bass amp head, of course if i am playing with him.

Anyways, opportunities like this doesnt come that often, and I can always save some money for getting another bass amp head in the future.

thanks for the advice, but i still have to give it some more thoughts.
    If I do get the bass I ll post some photos and sound clips. :D

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Whoops, stupid me. :oops:

TRADE IT!! GET IT OUT OF YOUR HANDS LIKE IT WAS ON FIRE!!! :hyper:

9. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Well, I guess since its fretless and late 70s, it really isn't doing much for me. . . if it were me I'd pass, especially if I had to trade my only amp. Now, if it were fretted, all original and in good playing condition, I'd probably go for it. I guess it depends on how much you play fretless.

If you just play fretless occasionally, I don't think I'd go to these lengths to get this instrument. I noticed in your profile you used to have a fretless. . . why did you get rid of it? If you don't play much fretless, save your money (and your amp) until you find a fretted model.

10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    malabito: Don't do it, man. Whether or not you play live, if the deal leaves you without an amp, I would say no.

Plus, you've got an ATK, man - what more do you need? :p ;)

11. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    If you suffer from back problems, make sure the bass isn't too heavy!!! Aren't a lot of Fenders from that period really heavy? You don't want a bass that you can't play comfortably (assuming you play standing up). Also, do you have experience playing fretless? Does the bass have fret lines?

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Unless you have another amp or have the resources to buy a new amp, I wouldn't do it! Secondly, I'd have a luthier check out the instrument (and ok it) before exchanging anything! Do you play/intend to play fretless? If not, pass! A vintage instrument without a case?? Hmmmmm..........nah, I wouldn't do it!

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It's a great bass, IMO, and bit special with the maple board and all. But if you lose your amplification, you can't do any gigs, right? :meh:

I've played this one:
    [​IMG]

14. yep, I did own a fretless, but that was a long time ago, when I was starting to play bass, so at that moment it wasnt that much fun to play it, so I sold it, thing which I regret now. :rolleyes:. I am more interested in getting a frettles, than a fretted one, since i already own two really nice fretted basses, and been having the GAS lately for getting a fretless.

:D

15. It looks almost exactly like that, but I think the microfones are not white, they are black. About loosing my amplification you are right, but I can always save some money in the future and get another bass amp head, and for the time being I can borrow a bass amp head since I still have my bass cab. I also own a little practice amp I use at home, which of course would not be enough to play live, but I could still hear my basses at home. :)

thanks,... :D

16. Hi Planet Boulder, I been having so much fun with the AtK, I couldnt be happier, at last my MtD is having a rest period. :D

17. I do intend to play a fretless, I been having GAS problems for getting one in the last months badly. you are right about the case part, a vintage instruemnt without a case is not a good idea, maybe the seller has one but doesnt want to get rid of it since he owns other fenders, I will try to convince him of giving me a case with bass, if he dose have one. Now regarding the luthier checking out the bass, that would be the best thing to do, but the problem is, that the guy who is selling the bass doesnt live near were I do, he is about a 4 hour drive trip from were I am, and getting in touch with a luthier in his area would be kind of difficult, I still be checking the bass personaly and looking for some neck problems, truss rod problems, etc,..the usuall.

thanks for the advice,... :)

18. HAPPy VALENTINES DAy :D