Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I do the Trade???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whitey, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Whitey

Whitey

Jan 8, 2002
    Beckley, WV
    I am thinking about trading an amplifier for a new bass. The bass is an American Fender P Bass with the sunburst finish and through the body string and bridge setup(don't know the proper way to refer to it). The amp is the only bigger amp I have. It is a Marshall Bass State 65 watt amp. Yesterday I bought a practice amp that is 30 watts and am pleased with it. My big amp stays in the church. I use a line out and play through the PA also. I never turn the Marshall over 2 on the volume side because of my line out to the PA.
    This morning I took my practice amp over to the church and played it through with the line out in the PA and got what to me sounded as the same sound quality. So I know that if I do the trade, I would get another 30 watt amp to put in the church to play through the PA and monitor back to myself and still have my practice amp at home. This would basically set me back nothing going this rate because I would trade in my beaten up Squier for the new 30 watt amp. The place that I deal with is still a mom and pop place and are very good to work with people this way as they have me in the past. What do you all suggest I do? I really want that top notch bass, but not sure about the sacrifice of my big amp. Big to me anyway. Thanks for your advice.
    Whitey

2. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Sounds like a good trade!
    Especialy if you got a great sound through the smaller amp at your church! A nice American Pbass is worth at least 5 to 6 hundred bucks, I'm not sure what the Marshall combo is worth.
    JMHO:cool:

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    A solid state 65W amp for an American P bass? That's a fair trade.

The name "Marshall" doesn't really set bass players' hearts afire.

4. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    The name "Marshal" sets me afire. Thats a bad thing though.

I would say it is a good trade. The difference between 30 and 60 watts is 3db if the power rattings are the same. Thats not to much. Since you are running through the pa you could also buy a good quality di box. That would probably improve your sound. I think sansamp has a good one. You might look into something like that.

5. I think a wire (amp) for wood (bass) trade is always better for the person who's getting the bass. Electronic stuff is more likely to become obsolete or unpopular. The Fender will hold its value much better.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You may be happier with the proposed bass than you are with the current amp, but I contend that trading is generally a bad practice. You'll lose money on the deal. You'd be better off selling the amp outright, make a few extra bucks, then using the proceeds to buy the proposed bass.