1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I do this trade? Opinions please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 110s lover, May 8, 2015.

1. Okay, so there is a guy on another forum selling a Marshall JCM 800 bass series head from the 80s, real cool. Its 100watt and i hear it plays very nice. Anyway, He's offering trades of roughly the same value.

Now my question is, I have a Marshall vba 400 which I love and imo is as close too an SVT without actually being one (I like this kind of tone for what I play), but should I ask to trade it for one of these rare beasts or should I keep my current amp??

I hear the low end isnt great on the 800s, and 100 watts isnt all that loud for bass, However he's also offering a matching 4x12 marshall cab with it and I already have a 600 watt 2x15 that I play through.

I play mostly rock, hard rock, classic 'metal' & some bluesy funk stuff too occasionally...but im mainly a rock bass player. I enjoy my low end that i get from my amp and cab but like high end and play with a fair amount of treble and like the odd EQ pedal.

So my preferred sound is very Balanced in that respect.

Should I swap rare for rare or keep what ive already got?? Anyone had experience with both of these amps?

Thanks!

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    he's trading you a guitar amp for your bass amp, that's all there is to it. that the 100w marshall guitar amp says "bass" on it is mostly irrelevant.

3. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    It may be rare but that doesnt mean its any good. You have a better set up. I would stick with what you have and let the gas pass.

4. StraightSix

StraightSix

Nov 23, 2011
    I had a Marshall Super Lead 100 valve head in the distant past (used for bass) and with a single 4x12 it wasn't loud enough in a rock band.

Your VBA is a completely different animal...