Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I even bother wasting my time???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Aug 31, 2005.

1. So getting a little practice combo/rig. The head I'm getting is the GK 400RBIV.

No what I'm not sure if I should even bother on is getting the GK400RB 2x10 combo, or looking into Avatar/Dr.Bass cabs and getting the head sepearatly.

I heard round here that GK speakers in the 400RB combo's are the greatest.

what do you guys think? should I get the combo, or get a sep. cab/head ?

2. cab and head, if anything, because i hear the combos aren't that strong on the lowest notes of the bass.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You said in another previous thread that you're a kid playing only in your bedroom in your parents house. No justification whatsoever for a separate head and cab. You won't need a road rack either.

Get the combo.

4. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    if youre playing in your bedroom then the combo is ideal. if you plan to join a band eventually you might want to consider a seperate head and cab.

5. Sorry guys, no kid playing in my bedroom, having Mom & Dad buying my stuff. But I do play for my own fun and no, I'm not playing out/gigging... but why do I have to skimp on tone because of it?

If my conclusion is correct, and the speakers in the 400RBIV-210 are garbage (I'm still waiting on feedback on this), right there is my "justification" to get a decent sounding cabinet.

I hear that this combo sound "thin" and lacks bottom. If a decent cab from Avatar will take care of this is all I'm looking for. I'm seriously considering the Kappa Pro 210.

I'm a bass enthusiast like the rest of you, probably to the point that many would say as obsessive. I do want to get the best tone I can, within my budget... even if it is for my own personal enjoyment in, yes a bedroom.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I'm a fan of seperate head/speaker for combos. Easier to move, and easier to swap out if you like something else or if something blows.

7. My basic inquire of this thread is to know if the speakers in the RB series combo's are the same speakers used in the Backline series???

Does anyone know?

8. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I don't belive so. The Backlines use the same speakers as the old SBX line of cabs, but don't have a tweeter.

The RBH use a different driver and are ported. I would try to play the head though both and see which suits you better. Also take a look at the Neo, a Neo 112 or 115 under a 400RB would probably be a very nice, very portable ministack.

9. Sounds like me atm, you recon i should have gone with a combo :eyebrow: :smug: :spit:

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    If that describes you, then yes, you should have got a combo :hyper:

11. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Heck, I myself use a combo for at-home use, and a combo for quieter, smaller gigs. When I play the stages, I drag out my rack and speaker cabs (which stay locked in the garage when not in use, I don't even drag them in the house).

12. yeah i probably should have a combo :smug:

13. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Oh, and I forgot:

1. Many combos sound BETTER than a separate head and cab. Its irresponsible to assume otherwise. My SWR Baby Blue II sounds better than my Eden Nav/QSC PLX3002/Aguilar cabs, volume output notwithstanding.

2. Many combos ARE THE EXACT SAME as a separate head and cab, the components just placed in one connected enclosure. Some Carvin, Hartke, GK, and a host of others.

3. Nobody "needs" a road-rack enclosure in their house, only if they are going to be schlepping their stuff around town in a van or truck with other gear. Racks are for protection, not for impressing friends.

I'm sure I missed a few points . . .

14. Dude, listen, it would be "irresponsible to assume" that there's no tone diff between a GK 400RBIV 210 combo vs. the 400RB Head on an Avatar 210 cab. Even in a 'bedroom' there's going to be a tone diff. They will NOT be "THE EXACT SAME"
    Supporting member w/ over 2k posts should know this.

Which one is 'better' is up to you. My money is going towards the Head/Avatar combo. Better speakers.

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    So if you've made up your mind, why do you keep asking the same inane questions over and over?

16. there's 3 diff Avatar 210 cabs. 3 diff speakes in em

also throw the 4th Dr.Bass cab. (and go back and read the threads, I keep asking over and over... because I havent' recieve 1 single answere yet)

dont get you panies in a bunch over this stuff man. :D

17. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Very, very slight. Possibly imperceptible.

Similar enough not to worry about it. IMO.

Better speakers? Wrong assumption, at least with the Deltas. The Delta 10 makes a poor driver for general bass amplification unless it is crossed-over for midrange only. The Kappa Pro 10 isn't good in small enclosures and its sensitivity is a bit low. Besides, don't assume that the speakers in the GK aren't Eminence-builds anyway . . .

18. The speakers in the 400 combo are made by emenence.

19. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    The speakers in the 400rb are the same as the ones in the RBS cabs, I don't know if they still make that cab. I wouldn't describe them as garbage. The 400rb combo makes a good stage rig with an extension cab, imo. It goes much louder than you might expect and the di is good. You could get the combo now (convenient, tilt back etc) and add an extension cab later when you're gigging. Best of both worlds.

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Then you will want seperates. Start off with something on the Avatar website, and work your way up from there. That should get you pretty close to the best tone you can afford right now. How much can you afford anyway???

I guess my post does not address what you claim is the main reason for this thread, are the speakers in a couple different GK cabs the same. I'm sorry. I chose to talk about something I know the answer to.

-Mike