Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

should I even bother?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ErinBC, Jul 28, 2005.

1. ErinBC

ErinBC

Jul 28, 2005
    I just learned how to play bass this year on my husband's old beat up Fender...one of the basic models that comes in the "starter kit" or whatever it is. Now my best friend's getting rid of his Traben Tribal Sun 4 string (his wife gave it to him and she just filed for divorce, he wants to get rid of everything that came from her), he said he'd sell it to me for $150. But I have heard both bad and good things about the brand. What do you guys think? I know they're not the highest quality but I don't know if I can do better for $150, and that poor old Fender's abut to fall apart. Thanks!!

2. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I'd probably get it simply because it looks funny

3. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I'm a SX/Brice fan myself. Better for the money, I think. (You'll be taken more seriously, too.)

4. ErinBC

ErinBC

Jul 28, 2005
    Well, I'm not all that worried about how they look or being taken seriously, I just play for fun with my husband as a hobby...not in a band or anything. I'm a student and he's a firefighter so money's tight and I just want something that'll sound okay and hold up alright.

5. Shakey

Shakey Vote for Pedro!!

Apr 12, 2005
    Roanoke, Va
    Well, considering they list for $229.99 at www.musiciansfriend.com ... I think it would be a great buy.

However, if you're not into it, you're not into it and if it were something I wasn't into, I wouldn't bother.

What I'm trying to say is...it's just personal preference. It sounds like a good buy, so I don't think that's something you have to worry about. If it's style, well, that's just particular to each individual.

I haven't heard anything extremely negative about their construction, so I really can't say how well they'll hold up.

6. i recently got a traben torrent. i haven't heard anything bad on the construction, and I certainly don't see/feel anything bad with the construction.

the debate with trabens have always been about their looks, not quality. personally, i don't like the real big flame bridges, but i actually liked the look of the torrent, so i bought it. like someone said above, it's personal preference as far as looks go.

oh, it's a longer scale, so that may take some getting used to.

7. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    The problem with Trabens is that they are lifeless and soulless in sound quality. No definition, bad tone, and little to no versatility.

You'd do MUCH better with an SX Jazz or PJ bass. IMO, they're cheaper, look better, sound worlds better, and I'd even say better made than Trabens.

-Eric.

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That's funny--the 10 I've played all sounded fine, and played great. And, how does a bass with an active preamp, and two pickups have little to no versatility? :rolleyes:

For $150, the Traben is a steal. If you like the way it looks, then don't even think twice.

Even though MF has them for <$250, they normally retail for about $600. IMNSHO, they are worth every penny of the regular retail price, and the quality is much higher than the SX basses.
    How many of the Trabens have you actually played?

9. One thing to mind is I've heard Traben's can be on the heavy side, something to take into account even if you're not planning on doing anything besides jamming with the hubby. If the bass is uncomfortable to wear or hold it'll affect how much you enjoy playing it.

10. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    If you play the Traben and you like how it sounds and feels and are comfortable with the price, then go for it. If you don't like it there are quite a few options out there, I recently purchased an SX P-bass from rondomusic for just over $100 with shipping and it is a well built and great sounding bass for the price, hell even for twice the price! :)

Shawn

11. ErinBC

ErinBC

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks to all for the advice! I played it today and it sounded fine to me, but like I said I'm no expert. It is a little heavy but I have a leather strap and I took the wool padded sleeve I had on my car seatbelt off and put it on the strap so that fixed that. I'll probably go ahead and buy it from him since I'm just playing for fun at home...plus the poor guy needs the money more than I do if you can believe it. I'll let you know how it goes...if I end up not liking it I can at least say I made a charitable donation to a needy friend!!

12. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1 on getting a Yamaha, or an SX/Brice.

Just curious though, was her getting him the Traben the final straw in the marriage? "What the hell is this??" :)

13. ErinBC

ErinBC

Jul 28, 2005
    LOL no she got him that a year ago for his birthday....but it was only a few weeks after she got it that they started having really bad problems...coincidence?

14. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Murphy's Law. :D I never was much for the look of the traben, and I've never played one, so I have no real business even posting.....but for 150$ I would definitely buy. IMO

15. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Perhaps the flame pickguard was supposed to represent the flame that was dying out in the marriage? *phylisophical smiley*

16. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I'd go with the Traben. I love the tone on my Phoenix! I went to try out a Warwick Corvette the other day, the first bass I tried out since I got the Traben, and I thought it blew the traben out of the water (The price was about £750 though) but it got me to thinking, is the Traben really that bad? I went to another GC further out of town, which has quite a few used and new basses, and tried out everything they had - The only bass I liked more than the Traben was the Variax bass. I find my bass to be very versatile, although the electronics aren't the best of quality... Methinks some bartolinis are in order when I have some money!