1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I exchange the head that I bought last week

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fender4ever, Nov 27, 2010.

1. fender4ever

fender4ever

Nov 6, 2010
    last week I went to GC and puchased an acoustic b200h amp head (200 watts). I matched it to a acoustic 410 cabinet. This week I have a coupon that can get me a GK600 backline head (600 watts) for about the same price that I paid for the acoustic. I will keep the acoustic 410 cabinet. Should I make the switch? I am a novice and appreciate any input.

2. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    isnt the backline 600 only 300 watts..?... at 4 0hms?

and I assume the 410 is 8 ohms..so ud prolly be seein like 175 out of the GK? (is this right?)

however..you are seein less than that out of the B200.

Is volume the issue?

I guess the choice is yours my friend...but I'd switch.

(i have a B200 combo that I though)

3. in my experience the acoustic head is better than the backline series head

4. fender4ever

fender4ever

Nov 6, 2010
    the 410 is 8 ohm. volume is the issue. playing small clubs 2 guitars bass and drums.

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    The three-fold increase in wattage won't be buying you a whole lot of volume. EQ changes and additional speaker area are what you want to be looking at.

6. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    The BL600 is 300w @ 4 ohms.

:rollno:

7. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

+1...
    If your happy with the sound of your G.C. Acoustic 200 head and 410 cabinet I'd suggest adding either another 8 ohm 410 or a 8 ohm G.C. Acoustic 115 cabinet. (Depending on your tastes.)
    The two 8 ohm cabs will give you the 4 ohm load you need to get the full 200 watts from your head.
    You'll have more speaker cone area giving you better lows, better coverage, better projection, and increased volume.
    The GK Backline 600 is 300 watts at 4 ohms, the extra 100 watts won't get you as far volume wise as adding more speakers will.
    If you give 200 to 300 watts enough speakers to work through you'll be surprised what it'll do!
    For many years I ran a GK 800 head, (300 watts at 4 ohms), into a 4 ohm Ampeg 810, (lots of speaker cone area)...not being loud enough was NEVER a problem.

8. ExurKun

ExurKun

Sep 29, 2009
    Rochester
    Honestly its not much louder, and i'd say theyre both about the same quality. Only way you can know for sure is to try them out. I'm not an expert but I think generally the acoustic is transparent while the GK will add growl and maybe scoop youre tone a little

9. russellmania

russellmania

Mar 25, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Return it, and get the 600 watt acoustic head. The difference in price isn't too much and I can't recommend it enough!