1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I feel guilty, or no?: a longish guitar center tale

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ThinCrappyTone, Dec 2, 2018.

1. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Brought a box of music crap—pedals, rack stuff, a few mics—to Guitar Center, looking to trade.

Gave the pile to an unhappy looking salesman who took about an hour to test it all and look up prices in between helping other customers.

When he returned, he said said “i can give you $320 cash, or $350 if you apply it to a purchase”.

This was a painfully low number, but its GC, so it is what it is. And since I had my eye on a thing that cost exactly $350, I took the deal. Figured a nice even trade would make it feel less painful.

So, the salesman began ringing up the item, then stopped, sighed and said “oh... crap... i did the math wrong and can only give you $320 toward the purchase.”

I said “ok well, forget the purchase i guess... now that its not an even swap, let’s just do the trade for cash.”

Salesman seemed annoyed at this and says, “now you just want the cash?”

“yes. I’ll just take the cash and call it a day. So how much would that be now, $290?”

salesman says, “yeah, i guess.”

“ok, cool, let’s just do that.”

“so you definitely don’t want the item now?”

“no.”

Salesman sighs and starts angrily punching keys on the terminal. He wanders off. Wanders back holding print outs. Wanders off again. It’s taking forever, especially since he keeps getting distracted by other customers. Finally he comes back again. He’s literally muttering and swearing under his breath.

I see he’s agitated, but I’ve been here going on two hours now, so I say something, trying real hard to be nice, “hey brother, are we getting near the finish line?”

He then looks at the print out he’s holding and says, in what is now a slightly unhinged voice, “ok, well! somebody screwed up the math!! looks like you’re getting $390 instead of $290”

not sure what to say, i reply “ok”

then he says “so, do you want to do the purchase now?”

“no, i’ll still take the cash. ”

“you’ll still take the cash!??”

“yes. Sorry man, at this point i’ve been here a few hours now, so i’d like to just do the trade for cash and call it a day, if you don’t mind.”

“fine,” he says, and stomps off

he then came back a little while later with cash, handed it to someone else to hand to me (!) wouldn’t even look at me and then walked away.

Honestly i was sort of confused by it all. Even though the guy was surly and took forever, I was nice the whole time. From my perspective, he was playing hardball the whole time, then screwed himself with his own math errors, and then was acting like I somehow tricked him. It was all very odd. I mean they still made out like bandits on the trade, even with the error in my favor.

Anyway, just another day at GC. But I am curious how others, especially those who have been on the sales end of things, perceive this.

fhm555 likes this.
  2. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    What would you have to feel guilty about? Don't see how they screwed themselves, looks like they almost screwed you out of $100.

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  3. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

It’s totally on him and his incompetence &/or lack of focus

4. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Disappointed you didn't take them for a lot more.

RustyAxe and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  5. rendevouz

rendevouz

Jan 8, 2013
    I think this is what annoyed him, you may have tried to be nice but clearly the stress was getting to him, but at the end of the day you did nothing wrong he'll be fine:thumbsup:

6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Ther was only one somebody doing the math. You’re good.

7. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    At this point your answer should have been: "So 390 cash, in that case I get 450 against a purchase?"

;)

8. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    will you negotiate for me next time? :roflmao:

JACink likes this.