1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I fire this guy?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by PauFerro, Oct 28, 2013.

1. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Took on an average guitar player a year ago for Band A. He responded to an ad I posted asking for a person who will not only play guitar, but also book gigs.

He didn't book gigs as promised, but focused on the music and steadily improved to be one of the better guys in Band A. Even fought me when I raised concerns about his lack of gig booking as agreed. I kept the band working, and then formed a trio version of Band B with him for lower paying gigs. I booked 90% of all gigs while he continued to focus on the music. I also found a killer drummer for Band B who I really like playing with.

I also kept this guitar player working and busy a lot of nights per month when he faced a period of unemployment. But by the way, I hate booking gigs, and although people think I'm good with promotion, I would rather the burden of promotion and booking was spread around -- that was why I brought him on to share that with me -- and he agreed.

Last night on the phone he tells me he thinks I should move over to doing promotion only in Band B (encouraing me to voluntarily leave Band B that I initiated, found a drummer for -- and replace me with some other bass player -- while we both continue playing in Band A together). Apparently, he's not happy with my musicianship in Band B, althoug he didn't outright say it.

I find it hard to believe that he would even suggest such a thing since he hasn't pulled his weight in the promotion and booking department as promised, so I have had to do it, while my own playing suffers. That he would think I would would agree to a demotion to lackey status in the band B I started while he and some other bass player and the existing drummer reap all the rewards -- makes me think this guitar player has a screw loose.

I think I should fire him from Band A AND Band B given his ungrateful attitude, and his outrageous suggestion that I voluntarily quit the band B. Our drummer in Band B doesn't think I should move off the bass chair, which is a vote of confidence, but the tension this has created makes me want to see the back of him, even if he is a good player now.

Comments -- what would you do? Based on his behavior here (which I consider deeply ungrateful and insulting) -- Fire him and find a new guitar player? Or some other approach?

2. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Fire his ***! Then Fire yourself- and form three new band at once.:bassist:

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  3. Mudcat35

Mudcat35

Feb 21, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Yes.

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I'd tell him sure, but his cut will be covering your booking fee since he has never took it upon himself to book gigs. If he complains, fire him. Life is too short to deal with users.

andruca likes this.
  5. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Show him the door. I can tell from the story that he was never going to get any gigs anyway. He was just looking to muscle his way into a band.

6. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    Cut him loose.

7. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    I would say no. At least, I think you need to back off on this one and think about it. Are you wanting to fire him because he bruised your ego? You said he was one of the better musicians in the band. Do you really want to cut off your nose to spite your face? His suggestion may have been thoughtless, but maybe he is just suggesting what he honestly thinks is best for the band? I'd rather someone say things like that to my face than work behind my back to get me out.

Have you recently clearly outlined the expectations with regard to booking? Have you worked to get things switched over so he can take over booking? I think you need to have a discussion with him about these matters. If you don't appreciate his suggestion, tell him so. And tell him why.

You asked, so that's my two cents.

8. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Could it be that he plain stinks at promotion and knows it, while you have a knack for it? It's not something everyone can do. As for you dropping out of band B and simply promoting it? Explain that he will be paid less, as you will be collecting a full cut along with your 'replacement'. The same money divided more ways. See what he thinks about that. When he suggests you would not be owed an equal share, laugh in his face and tell him to try again. But do not take it personally. That drama never leads to anything good.

9. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Hold on, hold on. We need to think this through. Did you post this in Band Management? Ok, check. In that case, yes the answer is fire him.

10. Hmm. FWIW IMHO, his offense seems rather minor - I recommend at least thinking more about it before you do anything you may end up later regretting.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Tell him that you will back out of band B and do promotion if he backs out of band A and does promotion. That should spark a good honest discussion about how he dropped the ball on promotion in both bands. This discussion may lead to someone being fired or quitting, but I wouldn't go into it assuming or SEEKING that outcome.

I'm gathering you have been more honest with US about how much you hate promotion than you have with HIM or the rest of either band. I think it is time you sat down with both bands and told them that A) YOU are the bass player in both bands, and B) you REQUIRE some help with promotions and booking.

But, again, if this is the only hickup, your band is lass drama than most. Don't go LOOKING for a fight, or to fire someone, or for someone to quit. Go in ASSUMING you will find a SOLUTION to the problem.

12. Oh, I think firing him is much too harsh - especially if he really is a good performer.

No, as the booking agent, and thus HIS booking agent, I think you should promote him to a solo act, and take a cut of everything you book for him. :D

13. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Based on what you've shared here, he would certainly seem to be looking out only for himself - and is definitely not a team player. But there are always at least two sides to every issue. Although from your standpoint it all seems quite clear-cut, frankly there's enough ambiguity here that I would be curious to know how Mr. Guitarist sees things. :meh:

If it hasn't actually occurred to you yet, it's probably high time to sit down with this guy, have a very direct heart-to-heart, and clear the air. I suspect that when that happens, you'll have a much better sense of where things stand - and whether it's time to sever your ties with Mr. Guitarist or not.

Of course, if he refuses to have that talk, or he does agree to talk but he isn't honest & forthcoming with you and he doesn't deal in good faith, that alone would probably be enough to persuade me to cut him loose - were I in your shoes.

MM

14. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    So...you found musicians, created a band, book all the gigs, and now the guitar player wants to kick you out of your own band...but that's okay because he'll let you continue to book gigs for them. :rollno:

15. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

If you book the gig, hire who you want and take the band leader and/or booking agent cut.

If the guitar guy books the gig, he can hire who he wants and handle the business as he sees fit.

You don't necessarily have to work together.

Do you get what I'm saying? ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

16. Nagrom

Nagrom

Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    You might want to consider this as a wake up call. Your average guitar player has worked hard at improving, you've got a great drummer, and they are looking to upgrade your instrument. What's that mean to you?

17. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Give me his number, and I'll fire him for you.

18. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Don't forget that said guitarist initially sucked and the OP gave him a shot anyways.
    I don't usually recommend firing people but in this instance I'd surely suggest showing this mug what happens when you get too big for your boots.

19. I wouldn't just cut him loose. At least clear the air between you two. Let him know you were offended by him. He may not have even meant to offend. His improvement at playing shows his commitment to the bands/the music. For me, the music comes first, so it wouldn't be fair to fire him until having a serious talk about band member business duties. See what responsibilities each of you are willing to take, and compromise. No reason to really stir up any tension unless he brings it upon you.

20. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

+1