1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

should i fix up this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by brianh, Aug 6, 2007.

1. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    Hi guys,

A couple years ago I picked up a beat up old ply wood at a garage sale for under $100. No bridge, tail piece, strings, or sound post...but otherwise only cosmetic damage to the bass. The name on the bass is "Andreas Hornsteiner" and it at least says it was made in Germany in the 1980's.

I bought some crappy used parts and had a luthier assemble this make-shift bass to use as my backup instrument. I haven't used it too often but now am wanting to play it out more. I'm thinking of having some work done: a new ebony finger board ($500-800), a bridge ($250ish), and whatever else needs to be done. It sounds ok now, but I'm hoping having this work done will really help the bass and not spoil the great deal I got on the bass.

Any insight?

2. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Is it a plywood bass, carved or hybrid? Bring it to a luthier and have him check it out. It may very well be worth putting back in shape. Worth it to find out.

3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, you should definitely have it fixed and set up properly. The <$100 garage sale bass is a fantasy for most. I searched that name and it came up a lot. Violins and Violas made in Germany in the $1-2k range. That probably makes it a $3,000 bass in proper playing condition, if it's plywood, more if it's not. Plus, you've got a history and a story with it.

Properly set up, it will be like finding it all over again. Don't try to do it yourself, you won't get it right and won't be happy with your investment.

And post pictures before and after.

4. I had a carved Jacobus Hornsteiner.....one of the stongest greatest basses I've come accross. He was in a partnership with Neuner of Neuner and Hornsteiner fame.
    Probably top quality.....go for it.
    Ther's a picture of a N & H carved bass on pg.185 in Elgars 'Looking at the Double Bass'
    Probably a real carved scroll and purfling.
    Do yourself and the bass a favor, have it set up by a top notch luthier.
    Yeah, pictures please! Try some Thomastik Spirocore Orchestra strings on it. It might just scare the hell outta you.

5. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Thanks, I've been wanting to fix it up for soem time now. It's defintately not carved, but it's a decent plywood. It's got a decent sound for playing pizz but the bow sound is....like strings on a cardboard box...no resonance! I'm thinking a new bridge and fingerboard might at least help this.

Not an ideal backup bass, but a good option for someone who can't afford a 3-5k Clevelend or New Standaard for "backup."

6. If you bow alot. Spiros aren't your best shot.

7. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    yes, this im aware of. actually 3 year old spirocores can sound great bowed! ive been using dominants/eudoxas with good results on my other bass.

8. Oops, I forgot you had another bass.....sorry.