Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

should I get a 1x15 cab to go with my new SWR 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kingjere, Feb 23, 2006.

1. kingjere

kingjere

Feb 13, 2006
    I love the tone and clarity I am getting from my new goliath III 4x10 cab, but I am looking for more volume. I have been playing through an Ampeg 8x10 my whole career. I was wondering if you ever had a chance to couple the goliath with another cab like another 4x10 or 1x15. I guess I would be leaning toward a swr 1x15, but truthfully I have never heard the pair. I am running through a workingman 4004 head.
    Any opinions from someone with experience would be super. I don't really need super low freq's (I play in Drop-D).

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    How much power does your head push? You might be able to get more sound from a higher output head, since the GIII handles 700 watts. Otherwise, if you like the sound of one GIII, just get another. If you want more of a fat cushion and slower bass feel, get a 15.

Adding another cab might just show you how underpowered your head is though :(

3. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Here's another suggestion for 'ya...

...if possible, pair those 4 x 10"s with a 2 x 15" cabinet. I've done that with an Eden D410XLT and a Bergantino NV215... powered them with a Marshall VBA400 for awhile, and then with an Aguilar DB750. Don't have the Marshall anymore... :crying:

4. kingjere

kingjere

Feb 13, 2006
    the head is 400 watts but i never had to turn it past past 4 or 5 to blast through my ampeg 8x10. hence i didn't think the head would be the problem...

5. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    I just put a 15" Genz Benz 'Live' Cab underneath my old Goliath cab. My cab is the first generation and is apparantly about 20 years old so I don't know if I would have the same sound as you.

I can tell you, adding the 15" has really helped to fill in the bottom end of my sound. I have a really full sound now and where low C's and B's vibrated pretty good with only the Goliath, they shake your pants off now with the added 15".

6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Sure, but with the ampeg you had twice as many speakers.

Maybe you would be happier with adding another cab. There's certainly nothing wrong with that! But personally I would get a more powerful head because that's just the way I am. :)

I also had a Goliath III and fooled around a few times with using it with my 210 and 115. It sounded fine and there was a definite volume increase.

If you do go that route I would get a 115.

:D

Joe.

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd upgrade the head before adding another cab.

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    If get a higher end SWR cabinet like the Son of a Birtha, that will sound awesome with your setup. It will make it really heavy and clear.

I dont think a new head will neccessarily solve the problem, because the GIII is more of a midrange cabinet and doesnt have sick low bass- you really need to add another 4x10 or 1x15 to get deep thunder out of it.