Should i get a 5 or 4 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gram, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Gram

Gram Guest

Jul 15, 2004
    wut r the differences?advantiges and disatvantiges? and what kind should i get 5 or 4? :confused:
  2. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    You should at least get 4 strings on the bass, or you could buy a 5 string and take one off.....maybe the d string. You could also get 8 string and cut it in half and than you have 2 basses.

On second thought just get a guitar.
  3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
  4. bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    it might be better to start with a four then when u get better if u think u need to or want to u can get a five, lots of people have both, in fact i plan i getting a five sometime soon but i will still pry play my four also
  5. BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    I would suggest starting with a four and seeing where that leads you. It's good to remember that no purchase has to be your last. You can always do some horse trading later on.

Fives give you an extended lower range which requires an amp that can handle those extremely low pitches. Small practice amps usually have a hard time with the lowest pitches available on a five. I've looked into a five-string but I feel that it probably isn't worth it for me. Occasionally I wish that I gould get down to a low D but it is not essential.

The wider neck of a five string is also an issue for some players. The neck of a four-string is very narrow and easy to get around on. A five is a bit wider and some players find these uncomfortable, even more so for sixes, sevens and eights. None of this is to suggest that extended range basses are bad. It's just a matter of trade-offs. For me personally, the four-string is the way to go but that is my playing, my tastes and my needs.

A lot of great music has been created on a four-string.
  6. nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    Its all personal preference, I would get a 4 string, but thats just me. If your just starting to play, you should probobly get a 4 string, because it would be easier to learn the basics on it, then you could move to a 5 string. good luck with your choice.
  7. pbassmanplease

Jul 17, 2004
    New Jersey
    billy sheehan uses a thing where he ahs a 4 string but theres something on the head that drops down to a d so u dont need a 5th string, and then u can flick it right back up again
    dunno wat its called though
  8. BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    There are two ways to accomplish that. One way is to have a device (usually at the bridge) that de-tunes the string to D. Hipshot makes one of these bridges.

The other, less common way, is to have an extension at the top of the neck. Double Basses have been using these for years. On a Bass Guitar these usually are a two-fret extension so that the E sting has a nut two frets further from the bridge than the other strings. The advantage to this arrangement is that the string functions like a normal E string unless it is open or fretted on the extension. In some cases there is a built-in device to push the string down at the old open E position so that by flipping a lever you can "cancel" the effects of the extension and have an open E.

Take a look at a Kubicki Ex Factor for an example of this.
  9. TorqueConverter

May 23, 2004
    When I was shop'n for my first bass 2 years ago, I really wanted the Marcus Miller 5 string jazz bass. The neck is smaller and the feel of the entire bass is kick ass.............But, it is about 1500.00.......and I thought that too much for a first bass-haha, "first bass"!!!!! And the 25w bassman amp I bought could not handle it......The ampeg rig I have now could handle it.........I did find one used on-line from a bass shop in Seattle for about 850.00...........If I could go back in time I would buy the Marcus Miller 5 string.
  10. lmyao!
  11. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

My opinion, one of each. Sadowsky, of course!!