Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I get a Bass Tremolo (whammy bar)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ai4281, Mar 17, 2006.

1. ai4281

ai4281

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver
    should I get a bass trem from Kahler for a 5 string?

I currently have 2 basses, one is Ibanez GSR200 which I have made fretless now...
    another is Ibanez BTB405QM, tuned E-A-D-G-C, and I would like to get a trem for this one.

Ever since I saw Les Claypool do that intro for John the Fisherman with his Kahler trem, I wanted to get it...

since I have only 2 basses, would it be too risky to sacrifice my perfect intonation, tuning, and tone on BTB405 just for some whammy abuse?

how low or high can you go with a kahler tremolo anyways (one octave down/up?), and does it keep in tune well?

any kind of advise will be appreciated, thx.

2. An octave? Think about that one ....

Yes you can install this without hurting your instrument. GSRs don't have the highest quality X really, i like mine, but that sounds like a good idea, maybe i'll install one too.

3. ai4281

ai4281

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver
    how much routing is needed for Kahlers?

4. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    A Lot less then the Hip Shot ones. It's a little bigger than a MM pup route.

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I always say it's cheaper (and less permanent) to use a Digitech Whammy.

6. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'd much rather have the real thing than a digitech

7. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    I'd like both.

8. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    You can set it up to go more down or more up. You can achieve an octave and a bit more if you set it the right way. If I had an Ibanez or something else that's more accomodating to a Kahler, I'd have one on my bass.

9. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    My CT will have a Kahler.

10. ai4281

ai4281

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver
    so you guys think it is a good idea to install the Kahler Trem on my Ibanez BTB405QM?

I mean, I'd like to install that on, but Im worried about

1. loss of sustain
    2. keeping in tune
    3. messing my bass up forever
    4. too much cost for routing? ($500 canadian for the bridge.)

i apologize for adding more and more questions, but i want to be sure... thx

11. Do you think that its worth the hastle? thats what i want to know... are you really going to use it enough to matter?

I mean, ive thought about one, but then realized that all it is (or would be for me at least) is a fashon statement... I mean, it would just be obnicous and attention getting... not really worth the money (like i said to me)

you, on the other hand, should think about it...

but, the digitech is an awesome pedal... lol.. not suggesting you use it, but i like it alot...

12. ai4281

ai4281

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver
    for me it aint a fashin statement. im ACTUALLY going to use it more than you think.

all Im worried about:
    1. loss of sustain
    2. keeping in tune
    3. messing my bass up forever
    4. too much cost for routing? ($500 canadian for the bridge.)

and hopefully, its worth the hassle and it will turn out great.

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    all Im worried about:
    1. loss of sustain: Not an issue with the Whammy.
    2. keeping in tune: Not an issue with the Whammy.
    3. messing my bass up forever: You can always disconnect the Whammy.
    4. too much cost for routing? ($500 canadian for the bridge.) The Whammy is about US$200 new. Maybe 2/3 of that used. And you can use it as soon as you buy it.

Bonus: You can do other intervals, make your bass sound like an 8 string, do a chorus and have Oct up and 2 Oct up.

14. ai4281

ai4281

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver
    ... i don't want a pedal.. i want a tremolo bridge

15. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Then you shouldn't worry about messing with your bass for good because it is non reversible.

16. I personally wouldn't do it with your BTB. The body is already countersunk for the monorail bridge, and I wouldn't mess with that if I was you...but I'm not you, so you can decide for yourself. I've been thinking about tossing a Kahler hardtail on my GSR.

17. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I've had a couple of basses with Kahlers over the years, so, in answer to your questions:

1. No loss of sustain that I could detect.
    2. As long as you're not dive-bombing all over the place and your machine heads are decent, tuning shouldn't be too much of a problem.
    3. You will have to get a big hole routed in your bass for the bridge to go in, so it's up to you if you want to risk your BTB for it. I say go for it... BTBs aren't hugely expensive and I dare say you could sell it on pretty easily if you don't like it...
    4. Any good luthier would be able to rout the hole for you quickly (the bridge comes with a routing template), but I suggest you get them to fit and intonate the bridge for you too - it'll leave less to chance.

18. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Don't do eet, man.

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    1. loss of sustain -- not a huge issue, I haven't noticed anything major
    2. keeping in tune -- depends mostly on your tuners and how stable your neck is. On a fat neck, no problem, on something paper thin, like a GSR, might cause problems
    3. messing my bass up forever -- it IS reversible, just fill in the route and refinish if you HAVE to
    4. too much cost for routing? ($500 canadian for the bridge.) -- any good luthier can do it.

price wise, may not be the BEST thing out there, certainly unique, but when I had mine, I certainly didn't use it anywhere near as much as i imagined.